|1st||2:26||REN||1-0||EV||Billy Jerry (4)||Owen Stout/3|
|1st||18:01||UNH||1-1||EV||Anthony Wyse (2)||Benton Maass/11, Brendan van Riemsdyk/5|
|1st||18:37||REN||2-1||EV||Jacob Hayhurst (7)||Emil Öhrvall/9|
|2nd||3:07||UNH||2-2||PP||Jason Salvaggio (4)||Patrick Grasso/5, Michael McNicholas/10|
|2nd||5:08||UNH||3-2||PP||Jason Salvaggio (5)||Patrick Grasso/6, Michael McNicholas/11|
|2nd||12:52||UNH||4-2||EV GW||Shane Eiserman (4)||Max Gildon/7|
|3rd||6:08||REN||3-4||EV||Jared Wilson (4)||Evan Tironese/5, Jesper Öhrvall/1|
|3rd||13:28||UNH||5-3||EV||Michael McNicholas (4)||Dylan Chanter/1|
|3rd||18:28||UNH||6-3||PP||Max Gildon (7)||Patrick Grasso/7, Jason Salvaggio/3|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|New Hampshire (9-5-1)||3/3||6/12||0|
|New Hampshire Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Daniel Tirone (W, 9-5-1)||60:00||3||7||13||9||29|
|Linden Marshall (L, 2-6-1)||39:53||4||2||10||0||12|
TROY, N.Y. - Senior forward Jason Salvaggio (Hanson, Mass.) scored two goals as the No. 13/15 University of New Hampshire men's hockey team defeated Rensselaer, 6-3, on Wednesday evening at Houston Field House. The Wildcats are now 9-5-1 overall and improve to 5-1-0 in non-conference games this season. UNH has won two straight games and three of its last four.
Senior forward Shane Eiserman (Newburyport, Mass.) scored his team-leading third goal of the season, while sophomore defenseman Anthony Wyse (Newton, Mass.), senior forward Michael McNicholas (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) and defenseman Max Gildon (Plano, Texas) also found the back of the net. Salvaggio now has five goals this season. Senior goaltender Danny Tirone (Trumbull, Conn.) made 29 saves to improve to 9-5-1 on the season. McNicholas recorded one goal and two assists for three points, while sophomore forward Patrick Grasso (Ankeny, Iowa) posted three assists.
The Wildcats will return to the Whittemore Center on Saturday, Dec. 9, to take on Army West Point at 7:00 p.m. The game will be "Salute to Service" night. The following afternoon, Sunday, Dec. 10 at 4:00 p.m., the Wildcats host Merrimack for Star Wars Night and another Dick Umile commemorative pin giveaway. Tickets can be purchased at the Whittemore Center Box Office, online at UNHWildcats.com or by calling 603-862-4000.
Score: #13/15 New Hampshire 6, Rensselaer 3
Records: UNH (9-5-1, 4-4-1 HEA), RPI (3-11-3, 2-5-1 ECAC)
Location: Troy, N.Y. (Houston Field House)
Date: Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2017
Time: 7:00 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- RPI took an early 1-0 lead at 2:26 of the first period when Billy Jerry fired a one-timer from the right face-off circle to the lower glove side of the net.
- At 18:01, Wyse tied the game at 1-1 when he scored on a one-timer from the left face-off circle. He blasted the shot to the back of the goal on the glove side off a pass from behind the net from freshman defenseman Benton Maass (Elk River, Minn.). Sophomore forward Brendan van Riemsdyk (Middletown, N.J.) also posted an assist on the goal.
- Just 36 seconds later, RPI took a 2-1 lead when Jacob Hayhurst sent a shot from the slot that was saved by Tirone, but Hayhurst was able to knock in the rebound for the goal.
- The Engineers outshot the Wildcats, 9-3, while RPI went 0-2 on the power play.
- At 3:07 of the second period, Salvaggio tied the game at 2-2 when he scored on a rebound from the slot off a shot by Grasso for the power play goal. McNicholas also tallied an assist.
- Then just 2:01 later, Salvaggio netted his second straight power play goal when he sent a shot from the side of the net over the shoulder of RPI goalie Linden Marshall as the Wildcats took a 3-2 lead. McNicholas and Grasso each posted an assist on the goal.
- At 12:52, Eiserman sent a wrist shot to the upper corner of the net on the glove side as UNH took a 4-2 lead. Freshman defenseman Max Gildon (Plano, Texas) posted an assist.
- Each team took 13 shots, while the Wildcats went 2-2 on the man-advantage and the Engineers went 0-2.
- RPI cut the UNH lead to 4-3 at 6:08 of the third period as Jared Wilson scored on a slap shot from the left face-off circle.
- At 13:28, McNicholas tipped in a shot by senior captain defenseman Dylan Chanter (Armstrong, British Columbia) as the Wildcats took a 5-3 lead.
- Then at 18:28 of the third, Gildon blasted a slap shot for the power play goal. Grasso and Salvaggio each posted an assist.
- Neither team scored again for the 6-3 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- RPI outshot UNH, 32-29.
- The Wildcats went 3-3 on the power play, while the Engineers went 0-5.
- Tirone made 29 saves, while Marshall posted 12 and Chase Perry recorded 11.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- Tirone is now 9-5-1 on the season.
- This was the sixth time that Salvaggio has scored two goals as a Wildcat.
- Eiserman's game winner was his team-leading third of the season. He has four for his career.
- Grasso tallied a career-best three assists.
- This was the 20th multi-point game for McNicholas.
- The Wildcats are 4-0-0 versus the ECAC this season.
- UNH is now 4-2-1 on the road.