|2nd||3:59||PRV||1-0||EV||Erik Foley (14)||Brian Pinho/16, Tommy Davis/8|
|2nd||16:32||UML||1-1||EV||Tommy Panico (7)||Jake Kamrass/6, Nick Marin/4|
|3rd||6:32||UML||2-1||EV||Ryan Lohin (9)||Colin O'Neill/11, Kenny Hausinger/10|
|3rd||8:31||PRV||2-2||EV||Spenser Young (3)||Kasper Björkqvist/6, Vimal Sukumaran/8|
|3rd||9:21||PRV||3-2||EV GW||Brian Pinho (12)||Josh Wilkins/14|
|3rd||10:29||PRV||4-2||EV||Josh Wilkins (12)||Brian Pinho/17, Jacob Bryson/19|
|3rd||17:45||PRV||5-2||PP||Vimal Sukumaran (9)||Brandon Duhaime/16, Scott Conway/9|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|UMass Lowell (16-15-0)||0/4||3/6||0|
|UMass Lowell Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Christoffer Hernberg (L, 13-8-0)||60:00||5||6||7||10||23|
|Hayden Hawkey (W, 19-9-3)||60:00||2||7||2||15||24|
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - A four-goal third period lifted the No. 8 Providence College men's hockey team over the UMass Lowell River Hawks, 5-2, on Friday night (Feb. 16) at Schneider Arena.
No. 8 Providence - 5 | UMass Lowell - 2
Providence - 19-9-4 (12-6-4 HEA) | UMass Lowell - 16-15-0 (10-11-0 HEA)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 24 saves
Christoffer Hernberg (UML) - 23 saves
- The first period ended in a scoreless tie with the Friars trailing 7-6 in shots. Neither team managed too many scoring opportunities and the River Hawks had the lone power play opportunity.
- Erik Foley opened the scoring 3:59 into the second. Tommy Davis passed the puck to Brian Pinho, who unleashed a slap shot from the point. Christoffer Hernberg made the initial save, but Foley was there to bury the rebound on the doorstep.
- With 3:28 remaining in the second period, the River Hawks tied the game at 1-1. The referees reviewed the play but ruled that the goal by Tommy Panico would stand. Jake Kamrass and Nick Marin earned assists on the goal, which came off a scrum in the crease.
- Following the Friars' third kill of the day early in the third period, the River Hawks took the lead. Kenny Hausinger played the puck ahead to Colin O'Neill. He skated down the wall and played the puck to the slot, where Ryan Lohin made a diving effort to redirect the puck between Hayden Hawkey's legs.
- The Friars responded with two goals just 50 seconds apart. Spenser Young skated through the slot and slipped a backhand through Hernberg's five-hole to tie the game at 2-2. Kasper Bjorkqvist and Vimal Sukumaran tallied assists on the play.
- Josh Wilkins then created a turnover in the neutral zone and slipped the puck over to Pinho's stick. He entered the zone and blasted a slap shot past the blocker of Herberg to take the lead.
- Providence continued its scoring ways with a third goal 1:08 later. Josh Wilkins deked in front and scored. Jacob Bryson and Brian Pinho made excellent passes to set up the sophomore's 14th of the year.
- To cap off the third period, Sukumaran notched a power-play goal. He scored from the left side of the crease and was assisted by Brandon Duhaime and Scott Conway.
- Sukumaran's goal and assist tonight push him to a career-long point streak of four games (2-4-6) and the sophomore boasts back-to-back games with two points.
- Providence scored three times in a span of 1:58 in the third period.
- The Friars had five different goal scorers and 10 different players notch at least a point in the win.
- Erik Foley scored his first goal since Jan. 13 at Boston University.
- Pinho has posted eight games this season with at least two points and his fourth three-point effort.
- Conway extended his point streak to four games with an assist on Sukumaran's goal (3-2-5).
- With the win, Providence clinched a first round bye in the Hockey East playoffs and advance to the Hockey East Quarterfinals for the seventh-consecutive season under Nate Leaman.
- The Friars remain in second place in the Hockey East standings, two points behind first place Boston College.
- Providence improves to 11-1-2 on Friday nights in 2017-18.
- The power play unit has tallied a goal in four-consecutive games for the Friars.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 3:59/2nd - EV - Erik Foley (Pinho, Davis) - Slap shot from the point by Pinho, rebound buried in front by Foley.
1-1 (UML) - 16:32/2nd - EV - Tommy Panico (Kamrass, Marin) - Scrum in the crease.
2-1 (UML) - 6:32/3rd - EV - Ryan Lohin (O'Neill, Hausinger) - Pass from O'Neill off the boards, re-directed between Hawkey's legs by Lohin.
2-2 (PC) - 8:31/3rd - EV - Spenser Young (Bjorkqvist, Sukumaran) - Backhand through Hernberg's five-hole from in front.
3-2 (PC) - 9:21/3rd - EV - Brian Pinho (Wilkins) - Slap shot from the top of the right circle following a turnover in the neutral zone.
4-2 (PC) - 10:29/3rd - EV - Josh Wilkins (Pinho, Bryson) - Bryson pass from the left point to Pinho on the boards. Pinho one-timed a pass to Wilkins in front who deked and scored.
5-2 (PC) - 17:45/3rd - PP - Vimal Sukumaran (Duhaime, Conway) - Goal from the left side of the crease.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Foley, Young, Pinho, Wilkins, Sukumaran (1)
Assists: Pinho (2)
Points: Pinho (3)
Shots: Pinho, Bryson (4)
Providence - 1/2
UMass Lowell - 0/4
Providence - 28
UMass Lowell - 26
Providence and UMass Lowell will conclude their regular season series on Saturday night at the Tsongas Center in Lowell. Puck drop is slated for 7 p.m. on ESPN3.