|1st||7:57||PRV||1-0||EV||Ryan Tait (1)||Brandon Duhaime/1|
|1st||17:17||MIA||1-1||EV||Austin Alger (1)||Phil Knies/1, Casey Gilling/1|
|2nd||18:54||PRV||2-1||EV GW||Greg Printz (1)||Ryan Tait/1|
|3rd||0:50||PRV||3-1||EV||Josh Wilkins (1)||Erik Foley/1|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Hayden Hawkey (W, 1-0-0)||60:00||1||10||7||14||31|
|Ryan Larkin (L, 0-1-0)||58:12||3||9||13||5||27|
OXFORD, Ohio - The No. 11/5 Providence College men's hockey team kicked off the 2017-18 campaign with a strong 3-1 effort on the road at Miami University on Friday night in Oxford, Ohio.
No. 11/5 Providence - 3 | Miami - 1
Providence - 1-0-0 | Miami - 0-1-0
Steve "Coach" Cady Arena - Oxford, Ohio
Hawkey (PC) - 31 saves
Larkin (MU) - 27 saves
- Ryan Tait (Santa Clarita, Calif.) notched his first goal of the season at the 7:57 mark to put Providence up 1-0. Brandon Duhaime was credited with the assist after a strong forecheck forced a turnover in the Miami zone.
- The Friars held a 10-2 advantage in shots prior to back-to-back power play chances for the RedHawks in the final five minutes of the period.
- Providence caught a break midway through the second period when Gordie Green broke in all alone but his shot rang off the crossbar and stayed out.
- Kasper Björkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and Scott Conway (Basingstoke, England) led the Friar power play with a few glorious chances, including Conway's shot that rang the post to the right of Larkin.
- Providence outshot the RedHawks by a 14-0 margin to close out the second period.
- Tait notched his second point of the night as he sent in freshman Greg Printz on a breakaway and he converted with his first collegiate goal to give the Friars a 2-1 lead after 40 minutes.
- Josh Wilkins (Raleigh, N.C.) gave Providence a two-goal cushion just 50 seconds into the third period as he wired a wrist shot over the shoulder of Larkin for the sophomore's first tally of the season.
- Seconds later, Miami appeared to cut the deficit back to one goal on a net drive by Kiefer Sherwood, but the officials waived the goal off due to goaltender interference.
- The Friars killed off four Miami power play chances in the final 20 minutes.
- Head Coach Nate Leaman's teams are now 6-1-0 in season-openers.
- Newcomers Tommy Davis (Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J.), Jeff Baum (Colleyville, Texas), Ben Mirageas (Newburyport, Mass.), Greg Printz (Fairfax, Va.), Jason O'Neill (Odenton, Md.), and Bailey Conger (Boise, Idaho) all made their Friar debuts.
- Providence is now 5-1-2 in their last eight meetings against the RedHawks.
- Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) earned his 25th career victory in goal for the Friars.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 7:57/1st - EV - Ryan Tait (Duhaime) - Quick snap shot from the bottom of the circle that beat Larkin short-side.
1-1 (MU) - 17:17/1st - EV - Austin Alger (Knies, Gilling) - Wrist shot from the top of the slot through a screen.
2-1 (PC) - 18:54/2nd - EV - Greg Printz (Tait) - Breakaway finished on the backhand.
3-1 (PC) - :50/3rd - EV - Josh Wilkins - Wrist shot under the crossbar from the top of the circles.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Tait, Printz, Wilkins (1)
Assists: Tait, Duhaime (1)
Points: Tait (2)
Shots: Foley (5)
Providence - 0/3
Miami - 0/9
Providence - 30 (12)
Miami - 32 (8)
Providence concludes its two-game series at Miami on Saturday night. Faceoff is slated for 8 p.m. from Steve "Coach" Cady Arena.