UConn Shut Out By Quinnipiac, 3-0

Sophomore goaltender Adam Huska made 24 saves for the Huskies
Prd Time  Team Score Type Scored By Assists
1st 6:15  QUI1-0 EV GW Alex Whelan (7)Kevin Duane/3
3rd 6:30  QUI2-0 EV Bo Pieper (4)Scott Davidson/5, Chase Priskie/8
3rd 19:01  QUI3-0 EV EN Kevin McKernan (2)Alex Whelan/2
Scoring 1st 2nd 3rd Final
Quinnipiac  1023
UConn  0000
Shots on Goal 1st 2nd 3rd SOG
Quinnipiac  1010727
UConn  106521
Team Stats and Records  PP PIM SHGF
Quinnipiac (7-10-2)  0/3 7/14 0
UConn (8-13-2)  0/6 4/8 0
Quinnipiac Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 Saves
Andrew Shortridge (W, 6-8-2)60:000 106521
UConn Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 Saves
Adam Huska (L, 8-12-2)59:312 910524
Empty Net0:291     

HARTFORD, Conn. - The UConn men's hockey offense came up empty for the second-straight game as the Quinnipiac Bobcats posted a 3-0 shutout over the Huskies at the XL Center in a non-conference match-up Tuesday night.

UConn, coming off a 2-0 loss at nationally ranked Boston College on Saturday, was shutout for the second-straight game, marking the first time they have been held scoreless for two-straight since the 2012-13 season. The loss drops UConn to 8-13-2 overall while QU moves to 7-10-2.

Quinnipiac's sophomore goaltender Andrew Shortridge posted 21 saves to earn his fourth shutout of the season. The Bobcats got goals from three different players with sophomore Alex Whelan providing the game-winner and assisting on a later third period empty netter.

Whelan scored just over six minutes into the first period and the Bobcats held that lead into the third period before senior Bo Pieper added to the lead early in the final stanza with his fourth of the year. Senior Kevin McKernan put the stamp on the win with an empty net goal at 19:01 to seal it.

UConn got just 21 shots on goal, their fourth lowest total of the season. QU also killed off all six UConn power play chances, including a 5-on-3 to start the third period. UConn netminder Adam Huska (Zvolen, Slovakia) made 24 saves in taking the loss.


The Bobcats struck first, grabbing a 1-0 lead at 6:15 of the first. Senior Kevin Duane created a turnover behind the UConn net and curled to the left half boards. Duane fired on Huska, who made the stop, but Whelan crashed to the front of the net and put home the rebound for his seventh of the season.


QU kept he Huskies off the scoreboard again in the second, limiting the Huskies to just six shots on goal. UConn got a late power play chance in the second with a Logan Mick hitting form behind call on a break-away chance with 1:05 left. The Bobcats were whistled for too many men on the ice with just a second left in the period, giving the Huskies a 5-on-3 chance to start the third period.


UConn got 55 second of a 5-on-3 power play to open the third but couldn't generate any offense their or their two other extra skater chances in the period. The Huskies finished the night 0-for-6 with the extra skater, with just four shots on net.

Quinnipiac pushed their lead to 2-0 at the 6:30 mark. Defenseman Chase Priskie kept the puck in at the blue line and junior Scott Davidson was able to chip the puck on Huska from the right circle. The rebound found Pieper in the slot and he blasted home a slap shot for the two-goal edge.

The Bobcats left no doubt with 59 second left, with Whelan chipping the puck along the boards to McKernan in the Huskies zone. McKernan gathered and fired from three quarters ice into the empty net, his second on the season to seal it 3-0.


Quinnipiac picked-up their third-straight win over the Huskies and fourth in the last five meetings. They lead the all-time series, 18-11-2. This is their second win over UConn at the XL Center.

The last time UConn was shutout in consecutive games was a weekend series at Niagara on November 2-3, 2012, losing 3-0 and 5-0.

UConn is back at home on Friday night hosting Merrimack in a Hockey East match-up at the XL Center.