|1st||14:58||CON||1-0||EV||Derek Pratt (1)||Miles Gendron/1, Jeff Wight/1|
|1st||17:45||CON||2-0||PP GW||Alexander Payusov (1)||Miles Gendron/2, Johnny Austin/2|
|2nd||6:10||CON||3-0||PP||Maxim Letunov (1)||Johnny Austin/3, Karl El-Mir/2|
|3rd||1:12||MNE||1-3||EV||Brendan Robbins (1)||Rob Michel/1|
|3rd||1:38||CON||4-1||SH||Corey Ronan (1)||Jeff Wight/2|
|3rd||17:50||CON||5-1||EV EN||Karl El-Mir (1)||Maxim Letunov/1|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Adam Huska (W, 1-1-0)||59:52||1||11||13||14||38|
|Jeremy Swayman (L, 0-1-0)||54:29||4||13||7||6||26|
ORONO, Maine - Brendan Robbins scored just over a minute into the third period, but the University of Maine men's hockey team dropp a 5-1 Hockey East decision to UConn on Saturday afternoon at Alfond Arena.
UConn (1-1-0, 1-1-0 HEA) opened the scoring five minutes and two seconds into the first period and then used two power-play tallies - one in the first and another in the second - to own a three-goal lead heading into the third period. UMaine (1-1-0, 1-1-0 HEA), though, came alive in the second period and outshot the visitors 13-8 in the middle frame. That momentum carried into the third period, and Robbins capitalized for the Black Bears to cut the deficit to two after a nice play by defenseman Rob Michel to keep the puck in at the right point. However, the Huskies' Cody Ronan got a short-handed tally 26 seconds later to dampen the Black Bears comeback.
The Black Bears did not fade away, and with goaltender Jeremy Swayman on the bench in favor of an extra attacker, UMaine peppered Adam Huska with shots in search of an equalizer for five minutes, 31 seconds of play until Karl El-Mir sent the puck into the empty net for an insurance goal. UMaine rained 15 shots on frame during the final period.
Swayman (0-1-0) finished with 26 saves in his first collegiate start while Huska (1-1-0) finished with 38. The Huskies finished 2-for-3 on the power-play while the Black Bears went 0-for-4. UMaine held the final edge in shots (39-31), with Chase Person registering a game-high seven.
• (UConn 1): After a shot from Miles Gendron, Derek Pratt potted the rebound.
• (UConn 2): From the left circle, Gendron put a shot on goal that Swayman made the initial save on before Alexander Payusov put in the rebound.
• (UConn 3) : Swayman did well to stop two initial shots by Johnny Austin and Gendron but Maxim Letunov was able to backhand in a loose puck at the right post.
• (Maine 1) : The Huskies tried to lift the puck out of the zone, but Michel made a deft grab and then dropped the puck and passed it to a re-grouping Robbins. Ribbins carried the puck along the right circle and then wristed a shot into the top of the net, stick side.
• (UConn 4) : With some stick work down low, Ronan was able to squeeze a blind shot off that found its way into the net.
• (UConn 5): El-Mir gained possession in the neutral zone and backhanded the puck into the empty net.
• The all-time series between UMaine and UConn is now all tied up at 4-4-3.
• Five different Black Bears scored goals over the two-game series (Tim Doherty, Michel, Peter Housakos, Nolan Vesey, Robbins).
• UMaine will have two weeks off before taking to the ice again, with Miami University (Ohio) set to venture to Orono on Oct. 20 and Oct. 21.