|1st||2:03||BU||1-0||PP||Shane Bowers (3)||Brady Tkachuk/2, Hank Crone/1|
|1st||4:18||MNS||1-1||PP||Zeb Knutson (1)||C.J. Suess/1, Daniel Brickley/1|
|1st||8:10||BU||2-1||PP||Jordan Greenway (1)||Bobo Carpenter/2, Chad Krys/3|
|1st||16:38||MNS||2-2||EV||Daniel Brickley (1)||-|
|2nd||3:40||MNS||3-2||EV||Charlie Gerard (1)||Nicholas Rivera/1, Daniel Brickley/2|
|2nd||5:12||MNS||4-2||PP GW||Ian Scheid (1)||Brad McClure/1, Jake Jaremko/1|
|2nd||14:54||MNS||5-2||EV||Riese Zmolek (1)||Charlie Gerard/1, Daniel Brickley/3|
|2nd||17:10||BU||3-5||EV||Shane Bowers (4)||Brady Tkachuk/3, Brandon Hickey/2|
|3rd||9:31||MNS||6-3||EV||Jared Spooner (1)||Marc Michaelis/1, Zeb Knutson/1|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Minnesota State (1-1-0)||2/4||8/16||0|
|Boston University (2-1-0)||2/5||7/14||0|
|Minnesota State Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Connor LaCouvee (W, 1-0-0)||60:00||3||9||10||13||32|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (L, 2-1-0)||59:52||6||8||12||19||39|
BOSTON - The No. 2 Boston University men's ice hockey team dropped a 6-3 contest to visiting Minnesota State on Friday evening in the opener of a weekend series at Agganis Arena.
Freshman Shane Bowers scored two goals for the Terriers, who move to 2-1-0 on the year. The Mavericks got a four-point effort (1g, 3a) from junior Daniel Brickley and evened their record at 1-1-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Terriers used power plays to take leads of 1-0 and 2-1 in the first nine minutes of regulation but the Mavericks then reeled off four straight goals to take a lead they would not relinquish.
- Bowers opened the scoring just 2:03 into the contest when he reached to poke the puck past former BU netminder Connor LaCouvee at the left crease with assists going to fellow rookies Brady Tkachuk and Hank Crone.
- Minnesota State used a power play of its own to get an equalizer at 4:18 as Zeb Knutson was the beneficiary of a goalmouth scramble.
- With BU skating with another man advantage, junior Jordan Greenway batted in an elevated puck at the right crease at the 8:10 mark to regain the lead at 2-1. Classmate Bobo Carpenter and sophomore Chad Krys each earned assists on the play.
- The Mavericks took over from there with Brickley starting the run with an unassisted goal from the slot with 3:22 left in the opening period.
- In the middle stanza, the visitors took the lead on goals from Charle Gerard, Ian Scheid and Riese Zmolek over a span of a little more than 11 minutes.
- Bowers tried to get the Terriers back into the contest when he shot off a rush got knocked in at the left post to cut the deficit to 5-3 with 2:50 left in the second.
- The lone goal of the third period came from the stick of Jared Spooner, who followed up his own rebound while skating through the right circle.
- Sophomore Jake Oettinger recorded 39 saves in goal for the Terriers while LaCouvee turned aside 32 BU shots in his return to Agganis Arena.
- The Mavericks held a 45-35 shot advantage and only five of their shots came on the power play.
- BU went 2-for-5 on the power play while Minnesota State converted on two of its four changes with the man advantage.
- Tkachuk had hist first multi-point game as a Terrier with two assists.
- Crone's helper on Bowers' first goal was his first collegiate point.
- This marked the first time in Oettinger's collegiate career that he gave up more than three goals before the midpoint of regulation.
- In addition to his four points, Brickley had a game-high four blocked shots.
FROM COACH QUINN
- "Really disappointing. For the first ten minutes, we actually played well, and after that it's like we completely changed our mindset and lost focus. For the next 50 minutes, they played men's hockey and we played boys' hockey."
- The teams will close out their weekend series on Saturday (Oct. 14) at 7 p.m.