|1st||4:34||CON||1-0||EV||Max Kalter (6)||Brian Rigali/5|
|1st||4:52||BU||1-1||EV||Jordan Greenway (11)||Drew Melanson/12, Kasper Kotkansalo/4|
|1st||7:48||BU||2-1||EV||Drew Melanson (3)||Brady Tkachuk/20, Chad Krys/17|
|2nd||1:31||CON||2-2||EV||Karl El-Mir (3)||David Drake/8, Derek Pratt/10|
|2nd||14:31||CON||3-2||EV||Maxim Letunov (12)||Derek Pratt/11, Johnny Austin/15|
|3rd||2:02||BU||3-3||PP||Jordan Greenway (12)||Dante Fabbro/18, Chad Krys/18|
|3rd||14:57||CON||4-3||PP||Benjamin Freeman (8)||-|
|3rd||16:22||BU||4-4||EV||Chad Krys (7)||Shane Bowers/12|
|OT||5:02||BU||5-4||EV GW||Bobo Carpenter (19)||Logan Cockerill/12, Shane Bowers/13|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||OT||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (18-13-4)||1/4||4/8||0|
|Adam Huska (L, 8-15-2)||65:00||5||6||10||13||4||33|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||OT||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (W, 17-12-4)||64:37||4||10||9||15||2||36|
BOSTON, Mass. - Junior Bobo Carpenter scored his seventh goal against UConn this season at 5:02 of overtime to lift the No. 20 Boston University men's ice hockey team to a 5-4 victory over the Huskies on Friday evening in the opening game of their best-of-three Hockey East quarterfinal series at Agganis Arena.
The Terriers won their 11th straight home playoff game to improve to 18-13-4 on the season and move one victory away from a trip to TD Garden for the Hockey East semifinals.
Sophomore Chad Krys scored the game-tying goal with 4:38 left in regulation and added a pair of assists while junior Jordan Greenway tallied a pair of goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- From behind the net, Carpenter took a pass from freshman Logan Cockerill and curled around the left post before sneaking the puck past UConn netminder Adam Huska for the game-winner.
- Krys made it 4-4 and created the fourth tie of the contest when he picked off a pass and wristed a shot to the top right corner of the net at 16:22 of the third.
- UConn opened the scoring 4:34 into the contest on a rebound effort by Max Kalter.
- Greenway potted an equalizer just 18 seconds later after senior Drew Melanson set him up for a breakaway.
- Melanson scored a goal of his own to give BU its only lead of regulation at 2-1 with 12:12 left in the first.
- The Huskies got goals from Karl El-Mir and Maxim Letunov in the second period to take a 3-2 lead into the second intermission.
- Greenway tallied a power-play goal at 2:02 of the third before the Huskies used a man advantage to take a 4-3 lead thanks to Benjamin Freeman with 5:03 left in the regulation.
- Carpenter now has nine points (7g, 2a) in four games against the Huskies this season.
- This was the third straight year that BU's Hockey East tournament opener went to overtime.
- UConn held a 40-38 shot advantage and got a 33-save performance from Huska, who returned after missing nearly two months due to an injury.
- Sophomore Jake Oettinger turned aside 36 UConn shots for the Terriers.
- BU went 1-of-4 on the power play while the Huskies went 1-of-3.
- Johnny Austin had a game-high six blocked shots for UConn while senior captain Brandon Hickey added a team-best five for the Terriers.
- Freshman Shane Bowers assisted on BU's final two goals.
- BU will attempt for a series sweep on Saturday (March 10) at Agganis Arena.
- Game time is set for 7 p.m.