|1st||3:40||UNH||1-0||PP||Benton Maass (2)||Ara Nazarian/7, Michael McNicholas/13|
|1st||9:21||UNH||2-0||EV||Liam Blackburn (5)||Chris Miller/7, Dylan Chanter/2|
|1st||13:19||UNH||3-0||EV||Eric MacAdams (4)||Jason Salvaggio/5, Michael McNicholas/14|
|2nd||1:42||UNH||4-0||EV||Liam Blackburn (6)||Dylan Chanter/3, Richard Boyd/2|
|3rd||3:06||BRN||1-4||EV||Tommy Marchin (7)||Sam Lafferty/4, Zach Giuttari/3|
|3rd||8:27||BRN||2-4||EV||Tim Lappin (4)||Brent Beaudoin/7|
|3rd||15:12||BRN||3-4||PP||Tyler Bird (3)||Charlie Corcoran/5, Tony Stillwell/6|
|3rd||18:28||BRN||4-4||EV GT||Brent Beaudoin (3)||Tyler Bird/2, Josh McArdle/2|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||OT||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|New Hampshire (9-9-2)||1/2||5/10||0|
|Luke Kania (T, 1-2-2)||43:18||0||0||5||8||1||14|
|New Hampshire Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||OT||Saves|
|Daniel Tirone (T, 9-9-2)||65:00||4||11||13||8||3||35|
DURHAM, N.H. - Sophomore Liam Blackburn (Prince George, British Columbia) scored two goals for the Wildcats and senior goaltender Danny Tirone (Trumbull, Conn.) made 35 saves and broke the UNH all-time career saves record as the No. 20 University of New Hampshire men's hockey team tied Brown, 4-4, on Saturday night at the Whittemore Center.
The Wildcats will return to the Whittemore Center on Friday, Jan. 12, to take on Boston University at 7:00 p.m. The game will be "Blue Out BU" and hot dogs will only be $1. So make sure to wear your UNH Blue to support the Wildcats versus one of the nation's top programs! Tickets can be purchased at the Whittemore Center Box Office, online at UNHWildcats.com or by calling 603-862-4000.
Score: #20 New Hampshire 4, Brown 4 (OT)
Records: UNH (9-9-2, 4-5-1 HEA); Brown (5-8-2, 4-6-0 ECAC)
Location: Durham, N.H. (Whittemore Center)
Date: Saturday, Jan. 6, 2017
Time: 7:00 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UNH opened the scoring at 3:40 of the first period. With UNH on the man-advantage, senior Michael McNicholas (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) sent a pass from the right circle to junior Ara Nazarian (Boxford, Mass.) in front of the net. He then sauced a backhand pass to freshman Benton Maass (Elk River, Minn.) who fired a one-timer into the open side to make it 1-0.
- At 9:21 of the first period, senior Dylan Chanter (Armstrong, British Columbia) wristed a shot on goal from the point, that was tipped by junior Chris Miller (Windham, N.H.) and saved by Gavin Nieto. Blackburn (Prince George, British Columbia) punched the rebound into the back of the net to extend the lead to 2-0.
- The Wildcats jumped out to a 3-0 lead at 13:19 of the first period as senior Jason Salvaggio (Hanson, Mass.) carried the puck into the offensive zone, and slid a pass from behind the net to freshman Eric MacAdams (Salem, Mass.) who ripped it above the blocker side of Nieto to extend the lead.
- UNH outshot Brown 16-11 in the first period.
- At 1:42 of the second period, Blackburn ripped a wrist shot from the right circle that found the back of the net on the blocker side to give UNH a 4-0 lead. Chanter and senior Richard Boyd (Delray Beach, Fla.) tallied the assists on Blackburn's second goal of the night.
- At 12:26 of the second period, Tirone made his 19th save of the night, for his 3,236th save of his career to break the UNH all-time career saves record.
- The Bears outshot UNH 13-6 in the second period.
- At 3:06 of the third period, Brown made it 4-1 as Alex Brink sent a pass to Tommy Marchin who wristed it past Tirone's blocker side.
- At 8:27 of the third period, Brent Beaudoin carried the puck through the slot and tapped a pass to Tim Lappin in front of the net and his backhander beat Tirone to cut UNH's lead in half and make it 4-2.
- At 15:12 of the third period, Brown cut the lead to one goal as Charlie Corcoran ripped a slap shot from the point and Tyler Bird knocked in the rebound to make it 4-3.
- With 1:32 remaining in the third period, Brown tallied the equalizer. Bird sent a shot on goal from the right circle and Beaudoin found the loose puck in front of the net and fired in the rebound to make it 4-4.
- Neither team found the back of the net in overtime as the teams skated to a 4-4 tie.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Brown outshot UNH, 39-31.
- The Wildcats went 1-2 on the power play, while Brown went 1-3.
- Brown won 38 faceoffs, while UNH secured 22.
- Tirone made 35 saves, while Nieto posted 13 and Luke Kania tallied 14.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- With 35 saves tonight, Tirone set the UNH all-time career saves record. His 3,252 saves now rank first all-time. Tirone has played in 112 career games, which is tied for first all-time in program history for a goalie.
- McNicholas leads the team with 14 assists on the season.
- Blackburn tied a career best with two goals. This is the third time he has tallied two goals in a contest.
- Chanter's two assists and two points tied a career best. He also had two assists and two points versus Maine on Dec. 2, 2014.
- Blackburn and Miller are each on three game point streaks. Blackburn has two goals and two assists for four points during this stretch, while Miller has one goal and two assists for three points.