Maine Skates To 4-4 Tie Against Brown
Sophomore forward Chase Pearson scores two goals and assist for Black Bears

Sophomore forward Chase Pearson had two goals and an assist for the Black Bears
Prd Time  Team Score Type Scored By Assists
1st 3:17  MNE1-0 EV Brady Keeper (5)Eduards Tralmaks/9, Mitchell Fossier/10
1st 5:39  BRN1-1 PP Brent Beaudoin (4)Tony Stillwell/7, Luke Kania/1
2nd 6:09  BRN2-1 EV Tim Lappin (5)Nolan Aibel/4, Alex Brink/3
2nd 9:01  MNE2-2 EV Mitchell Fossier (7)Chase Pearson/13, Keith Muehlbauer/1
2nd 12:13  MNE3-2 PP Chase Pearson (2)Eduards Tralmaks/10, Veli-Matti Tiuraniemi/3
2nd 14:21  BRN3-3 EV Tyler Bird (4)Josh McArdle/3, Brent Beaudoin/8
3rd 12:15  BRN4-3 EV Anea Ferrario (1)Charlie Corcoran/6, Brent Beaudoin/9
3rd 14:26  MNE4-4 EV GT Chase Pearson (3) -
Scoring 1st 2nd 3rd OT Final
Maine  12104
Brown  12104
Shots on Goal 1st 2nd 3rd OT SOG
Maine  10713535
Brown  61311030
Team Stats and Records  PP PIM SHGF
Maine (11-7-2)  1/2 6/12 0
Brown (5-8-3)  1/5 3/6 0
Maine Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 OT Saves
Rob McGovern (T, 3-4-1)65:004 51110026
Brown Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 OT Saves
Luke Kania (T, 1-2-3)65:004 9512531

Providence, R.I. - Chase Pearson scored with 5:34 left in the third period, and the No. 20 University of Maine men's hockey team ended non-conference play with a 4-4 tie against Brown on Monday night at Meehan Auditorium. In the game that saw four lead changes, the Black Bears pushed their unbeaten streak to nine games.

Pearson tied a career-high with three points on two goals and one assist while Mitchell Fossier tallied one goal and one assist for two points and Eduards Tralmaks helped out on two goals. Keith Muehlbauer added one assist.

Brady Keeper put Maine up, 1-0, just 3:17 into the game with his fifth goal of the season. Mitchell Fossier picked up his rebound in the left corner and worked it behind the net to Eduards Tralmaks. The freshman forward then found the charging freshman defender, as Keeper had positioned himself for a one-timer past Luke Kania from the top of the right circle.

While the Black Bears were whistled for a penalty a mere 19 seconds into the game and killed it off, they were not able to stifle the Bears' power-play unit a second consecutive time, and Brent Beaudoin tied the game up two minutes after Keeper's tally. Beaudoin was able to carry a pass from Tony Stillwell over the blue line and snuck a shot into the net.

Neither team would find the net again for over 20 minutes of play, but it would be Brown that broke the deadlock with 13:51 to go in the period when Tim Lappin's slap shot from the point was deflected past McGovern. Down but not out, the Black Bears fought back to take a 3-2 lead near the midway point of the period.

Fossier pulled the Black Bears when Pearson found him with a backhand pass for a one-timer in the high slot. Fossier's shot found the top left corner of the net for his seventh goal of the season. Three minutes later, it was Pearson's turn to light the lamp. Veli-Matti Tiuraniemi slid a puck down into the left corner for Tralmaks, who was able to slip it to Pearson at the left hashmarks. Pearson's low shot found the back of the net.

Brown, though, was able to once again tie the game at 3-3 on Tyler Bird wrister from the right point.

Faced with a two-minute penalty kill to start the third period, the Black Bears received stellar play from McGovern to keep the scoreline intact. First, the junior netminder made a diving smother on a loose puck at the right post before Brown could poke it in. Moments later, McGovern squared up to a point-blank shot in the low slot for a pad save.

McGovern's strong play in the Maine end enabled the Black Bears to gain some steam going the other way. Tralmaks had a chance cutting in but his backhand got blocked away and Kania was able freeze Pearson's wrap-around bid, but Maine continued to plug away. It would be Brown to find the net first again, however, with Anea Ferrario's wrister from the left circle finding its way in for a 4-3 lead with 7:45 to play.

But in keeping with the theme of the night, Pearson helped the Black Bears fight back with his second of the night and force overtime. After Pearson caused a turnover up the boards in the Maine offensive zone, he took the puck himself across the slot and to the right circle for a wrister into the corner of the net for the unassisted tally.

The opening minutes of overtime belonged to the Black Bears, with Fossier and Tralmarks getting an early look on a rush only to have the centering pass find a skate. Moments later it was Brendan Robbins that broke in for a shot down low but Kania made the pad save - as he did on Canon Pieper's wraparound bid shortly after. Maine ended the extra time period with five shots on goal to Brown's zero.

McGovern finished with 26 saves while Kania stopped 31. Maine (11-7-2) held the final edge over Brown (5-8-3) in shots on goal, 35-30.

Maine will remain on the road next weekend, heading to Northeastern for some Hockey East action on Friday, Jan. 12 and Saturday, Jan. 13.