|1st||6:09||BC||1-0||PP||Logan Hutsko (1)||Casey Fitzgerald/2, Graham McPhee/2|
|2nd||4:10||BC||2-0||EV||Christopher Brown (1)||Jacob Tortora/2, Connor Moore/2|
|2nd||10:48||STC||1-2||EV||Kevin Fitzgerald (1)||Jimmy Schuldt/4, Ryan Poehling/4|
|2nd||12:10||STC||2-2||EV||Jack Poehling (3)||Judd Peterson/5, Will Borgen/3|
|3rd||7:18||STC||3-2||PP GW||Jack Ahcan (1)||Blake Lizotte/1, Ryan Poehling/5|
|3rd||13:22||STC||4-2||PP||Robby Jackson (3)||Jimmy Schuldt/5|
|3rd||19:29||STC||5-2||EV EN||Nick Poehling (4)||Will Borgen/4, Blake Lizotte/2|
|St. Cloud State||0||2||3||5|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|St. Cloud State||11||17||19||47|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston College (1-2-1)||1/3||10/20||0|
|St. Cloud State (4-0-0)||2/9||4/8||0|
|Boston College Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Ryan Edquist (L, 0-1-0)||58:43||4||11||15||16||42|
|St. Cloud State Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jeff Smith (W, 3-0-0)||59:55||2||7||7||4||18|
ST. CLOUD, Minn. - No. 13 Boston College skated out to a 2-0 lead in front of a hostile crowd at the Herb Brooks National Hockey Center, but No. 3 St. Cloud State came roaring back to score five unanswered tallies, including a pair of power play goals, to claim the front end of a two-game series, 5-2, Friday night.
Logan Hutsko and Christopher Brown scored their first goals of the season while sophomore goaltender Ryan Edquist (Lakeville, Minn.) picked up his first start of the season in front of his hometown crowd.
Edquist stopped a career-best 42 shots as the Huskies outshot Boston College, 47-20. SCSU was also strong in the faceoff circle, winning 44-of-65 draws on the night.
No. 13 Boston College - 2 / No. 3 St. Cloud - 5
Herb Brooks National Hockey Center / St. Cloud, Minn.
No. 13 Boston College (1-2-1 | 1-0-0 HEA) / No. 3 Saint Cloud (4-0-0 | 0-0-0 NCHC)
BC HIGHLIGHTS & GAME NOTES
- The Boston College penalty kill had been superb all season long, snuffing out its first 16 opposing power plays before St. Cloud found the back of the net on its seventh and eight power play opportunities of the night. Boston College is 17-of-19 on the penalty kill this season.
- Freshman Logan Hutsko scored his first-career goal in power play fashion early in the first period, extending his point streak to three games. The Tampa, Fla. native has accounted for four points (1-3-4) in his last three outings and is the third Eagle (Jacob Tortora, Graham McPhee) to score a power play goal this season.
- Christopher Brown netted his first goal of the season at 4:10 of the second period, posting points in back-to-back outings as the Eagle captain assisted on Casey Fitzgerald's overtime winner at Providence on Oct. 15.
- Sophomore goaltender Ryan Edquist earned his first start in goal for the Eagles as the hometown product (Lakeville, Minn.) stopped a career-best 42 shots in the decision.
- Graham McPhee constructed his first-career three-point point streak, providing the secondary assist on Logan Hutsko's first-career tally. The Bethesda, Md. native has notched four points (1-3-4) in his hot start.
- Casey Fitzgerald has accounted for three points in his last two games, assisting on Logan Hutsko's first-career power play goal.
- Connor Moore has assisted in back-to-back outings, marking the third-career point streak for the Cumming, Ga. native and first since March 10-11, 2017.
- Jacob Tortora has assisted in two-consecutive games and logged three points in his first four games in the maroon and gold.
FIRST GOAL (1-0 - Boston College) FIRST PERIOD - Logan Hutsko - 6:09 - POWER PLAY
• Christopher Brown drew a slashing call at 4:37 on Judd Peterson and the Eagles cashed in a minute and a half later on a great play from Casey Fitzgerald to Logan Hutsko. The BC power play cycled in St. Cloud's zone as Graham McPhee provided Fitzgerald with the puck atop the zone. As the Huskies' defense shifted over, Fitzgerald thread the needle with a beautiful pass on the near post and Hutsko put his stick in perfect position to tip it over SCSU netminder Jeff Smith at 6:09 for the power play tally and a 1-0 Eagles' advantage.
SECOND GOAL (2-0 - Boston College) SECOND PERIOD - Christopher Brown - 4:10 - EVEN STRENGTH
• Boston College doubled up its lead early in the second frame in transition. The Eagles' defense busted up a play in BC's end and turned up ice. Brown skated the puck into SCSU's zone and dished over to Connor Moore on the far post. Moore threw the disc up to Jacob Tortora on the far post and he immediately tossed it towards the goalmouth. Brown skated in, gathered the carom in front of then net and beat Smith on the near post as he was not able to shift over to the other side quick enough, giving BC the 2-0 edge.
THIRD GOAL (2-1 - St. Cloud) SECOND PERIOD - Kevin Fitzgerald - 10:48 - EVEN STRENGTH
• St. Cloud curbed its scoreless spell after Kevin Fitzgerald slipped a loose rebound past Ryan Edquist at 10:48 of the second period. Ryan Poehling connected with Jimmy Schuldt atop the left circle and rifled a slap shot right into Edquists's chest. Edquist made the initial stop but the puck trickled down to his pads right on the goal line and Fitzgerald crashed the cease and beat Edquist to the cover up to make it a 2-1 affair.
FOURTH GOAL (2-2 - St. Cloud) SECOND PERIOD - Jack Poehling - 12:10 - EVEN STRENGTH
• The Huskies tied things up 1:22 after Fitzgerald's tally on a big rebound play from Poehling. Judd Peterson skated through the Eagles' seam and ripped one just wide of Edquist. The puck quickly caromed off the back boards and Poehling skated down the left side and baseball batted the puck out of mid air on the near side, bating Edquist to the post at 12:10 to cinch the score, 2-2.
FIFTH GOAL (3-2 - St. Cloud) THIRD PERIOD - Jack Ahcan - 7:18 - POWER PLAY
• St. Cloud grabbed its first lead of the contest, scoring on its seventh power play opportunity of the night. The Eagles killed off the first half of a too many men penalty before Jack Ahcan gathered a pass from Blake Lizotte and wristed it through a screen from the slot at 7:18 to go up, 3-2.
SIXTH GOAL (4-2 - St. Cloud) THIRD PERIOD - Robby Jackson - 13:22 - POWER PLAY
• St. Cloud scored its fourth unanswered tally and second-consecutive power play goal with 6:38 left in regulation. Edquist was caught up in the crease and Schuldt connected with Robby Jackson in the slot. Jackson had ample time, skated it in above the right circle and hit the back of the net with Edquist still down to go up a pair, 4-2, on the power play.
SEVENTH GOAL (5-2 - St. Cloud) THIRD PERIOD - Robby Jackson - 13:22 - EMPTY NET
• Nick Poehling added the empty netter from Boston College's blue line, sliding it past a pair of Eagles for the long-distance attempt on the unguarded net with 31 seconds to play and close out regulation, 5-2.
BOSTON COLLEGE GAME LEADERS
Points: Christopher Brown (1 - 0 - 1) / Logan Hutsko (1 - 0 - 1) / Casey Fitzgerald (0 -1 -1) / Graham McPhee (0 -1 -1) / Jacob Tortora (0 -1 -1) / Connor Moore (0 -1 -1)
Goals: Christopher Brown (1 - 0 - 1) / Logan Hutsko (1 - 0 - 1)
Assists: Casey Fitzgerald (0 -1 -1) / Graham McPhee (0 -1 -1) / Jacob Tortora (0 -1 -1) / Connor Moore (0 -1 -1)
Shots: Christopher Brown ( 5 )
Faceoffs Won: Julius Mattila (9 - of - 20)
Boston College: 1 - for - 3
St. Cloud: 2 - for - 9
Boston College: 10 - for - 20
St. Cloud: 4 - for - 8
BOSTON COLLEGE LINES
McPhee - Jul. Mattila - Dudek
Grando - Räsänen - Hutsko
Cotton - Brown - Tortora
Carreau - Greco - Walker
McInnis - Fitzgerald
Jes. Mattila - Moore
Karow - Kim
Boston College closes out the series at St. Cloud State tomorrow night at 8 p.m. ET before heading back to Providence on Friday, Oct. 27. That next Saturday, the Eagles welcome in defending national champion Denver for a 7 p.m. puck drop at Kelley Rink.