|1st||17:55||DEN||1-0||PP||Matt Marcinew (1)||Will Butcher/1, Jarid Lukosevicius/1|
|2nd||4:02||DEN||2-0||EV||Troy Terry (1)||Michael Davies/2|
|2nd||4:44||DEN||3-0||EV||Evan Janssen (1)||Logan O'Connor/2|
|2nd||9:25||BU||1-3||PP||Brandon Hickey (1)||Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson/1, Patrick Harper/1|
|2nd||12:06||DEN||4-1||EV GW||Evan Janssen (2)||Tyson McLellan/1, Logan O'Connor/3|
|3rd||2:47||BU||2-4||EV||Jordan Greenway (1)||Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson/2, Patrick Harper/2|
|3rd||10:48||BU||3-4||SH||Clayton Keller (2)||-|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (1-1-0)||1/3||7/14||1|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (L, 1-1-0)||58:37||4||13||7||11||31|
|Tanner Jaillet (W, 1-1-0)||59:55||3||9||4||10||23|
DENVER - A late comeback effort fell just short for the No. 2 Boston University men's ice hockey team on Friday evening as No. 10 Denver held on for a 4-3 win in the opener of a weekend series at Magness Arena.
Final Score: #10 Denver 4, #2 Boston University 2 Records: BU (1-1-0), Denver (1-2-0) Location: Magness Arena - Denver, Colo.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Down 4-1 entering the third period, Boston University got goals from sophomore Jordan Greenway and freshman Clayton Keller to make it a one-goal game.
- A flurry of late pressure by the Terriers was withstood by the Pioneers, who picked up their first victory of the season.
- Denver opened the scoring late in the first period on a power-play goal by Matt Marcinew and then tacked on two more 42 seconds apart in the fifth minute of the middle stanza to take a 3-0 lead.
- Junior Brandon Hickey got the Terriers on the board with a power-play tally from the top of the left circle at 9:25 of the second before the home team reestablished a three-goal cushion less than three minutes later on Evan Janssen's second marker of the period.
- At 2:47 of the third, Greenway stuffed home the puck during a scrum at the right post to make it a 4-2 contest.
- With the Pioneers on a power play, Keller won a race to the puck and converted a shorthanded breakaway with 9:12 left in regulation.
- Sophomore Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson and freshman Patrick Harper assisted on both of BU's first two goals.
- Freshman Jake Oettinger made 31 saves in goal for the Terriers while Tanner Jaillet turned aside 23 BU shots for the Pioneers.
- Denver held a 35-26 shot advantage.
- The Pioneers converted on one of seven power-play chances and the Terriers' penalty kill is 14-of-15 thus far this season.
- BU went 1-of-3 with the man advantage.
- Greenway recorded 10 of the Terriers' 26 shots.
- Freshman Dante Fabbro (+1) was BU's lone plus player on the night.
- The all-time series between BU and Denver is now knotted at 15-15-2.
- The teams will close out the weekend series on Saturday (Oct. 15) at 9 p.m. ET.
- The game will be televised on Altitude 2 (DirecTV 681-1, Dish 453) and will be streamed at NCHC.tv.