|1st||15:11||BU||1-0||PP||Patrick Harper (1)||Bobo Carpenter/1, Charlie McAvoy/1|
|1st||17:27||BU||2-0||SH GW||Nick Roberto (1)||Nikolas Olsson/1|
|2nd||5:28||BU||3-0||EV EA||Patrick Harper (2)||Clayton Keller/1, Brandon Hickey/1|
|3rd||5:12||BU||4-0||EV||Tommy Kelley (1)||Gabriel Chabot/1, Johnny McDermott/1|
|3rd||7:06||BU||5-0||EV||Clayton Keller (1)||Brandon Hickey/2, Kieffer Bellows/1|
|3rd||7:25||BU||6-0||EV||Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (1)||Bobo Carpenter/2, Doyle Somerby/1|
|3rd||11:47||CLG||1-6||EV||Mike Panowyk (1)||Tim Harrison/1|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (1-0-0)||1/7||10/20||1|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (W, 1-0-0)||59:38||1||7||9||13||29|
|Charlie Finn (L, 0-1-1)||49:20||6||8||7||7||22|
HAMILTON, N.Y. - Freshman Patrick Harper picked up where he left off in the preseason, scoring a pair of goals to help the No. 3/4 Boston University men's ice hockey team earn a 6-1 triumph in its season opener at Colgate on Saturday evening.
Final Score: #3/4 Boston University 6, Colgate 1
Records: BU (1-0-0), Colgate (0-1-1)
Location: Class of 1965 Arena - Hamilton, N.Y.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Boston University got the start to the season it was looking for, lighting the lamp six times in a 6-1 rout at Colgate.
- Freshman Patrick Harper opened the scoring on his first official shot as a Terrier - a well-placed shot from the high slot - and added another goal in second period.
- Playing in his first game since the 2015 national championship, senior Nick Roberto recorded a shorthanded goal with 2:33 remaining in the opening period to give the Terriers a 2-0 lead entering the first intermission.
- Rookie Clayton Keller also notched his first collegiate goal in addition to assisting on Harper's second tally, which came on a delayed penalty at the 5:28 mark of the middle stanza to push the lead to 3-0.
- The Terriers scored three goals in a span of 2:13 early in the third period to put the game away.
- The fourth line produced BU's fourth goal of the night as freshman Gabriel Chabot found senior Tommy Kelley at the right post at 5:12 of the third. Chabot and fellow freshman Johnny McDermott each picked up their first collegiate point with assists on the goal.
- Keller got his goal at the left crease, finishing off a great pass by junior Hickey from the right corner at the 7:06 mark.
- Just 19 seconds later, sophomore Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson potted a goal of a rebound in front to create a 6-0 cushion and cap the three-goal spurt.
- Colgate spoiled freshman Jake Oettinger's shutout bid with 8:13 remaining in the contest on a goal by Mike Panowyk.
- Oettinger finished the night with 29 saves while Charlie Finn (22) and Bruce Racine (2) combined for 24 stops for the Raiders.
- BU killed off all eight of Colgate's power-play chances and went 1-for-7 with the man advantage with the conversion coming on the first goal of the night, which was a 5-on-3 opportunity.
- Both teams recorded 30 shots on the night.
- Hickey and sophomore Bobo Carpenter each tallied two assists.
- Freshman Kieffer Bellows earned his first point as a Terrier with an a assist on Keller's marker.
- Sophomore Charlie McAvoy, junior Nikolas Olsson and senior Doyle Somerby all found the scoresheet with an assist.
- In all, 13 Terriers registered at least one point in the contest.
- The Terriers have now won five of their past six season openers.
- BU was the second opponent to take on Colgate in its new arena, as the Raiders tied Army West Point, 2-2, in their opener on Oct. 1.
- Oettinger was the first American goaltender to start for BU in 315 games, a streak dating back to the beginning of the 2008-09 season.
- In the second period with the Terriers leading 3-0, Oettinger made a stop on a penalty shot taken by Tyler Penner.
- BU will continue its road stretch to start the season when it travels to face No. 4/3 Denver in a weekend series on Oct. 14-15.
- Friday's contest will start at 9:30 ET while Saturday's will begin at 9:00 ET.
- Both games will be televised on Altitude (DirecTV 681, Dish 413).