|1st||17:52||BC||1-0||PP||Scott Savage (1)||Christopher Brown/4, David Cotton/4|
|2nd||10:40||BC||2-0||EV||Ryan Fitzgerald (2)||JD Dudek/1, Matthew Gaudreau/3|
|3rd||1:00||MER||1-2||PP||Logan Coomes (1)||Sami Tavernier/1, Hampus Gustafsson/1|
|3rd||11:03||MER||2-2||PP GT||Mathieu Foget (1)||Brett Seney/4, Jace Hennig/3|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||OT||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston College (4-2-1)||1/4||8/24||0|
|Boston College Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||OT||Saves|
|Joseph Woll (T, 3-2-1)||65:00||2||10||15||5||2||32|
|Drew Vogler (T, 2-2-1)||65:00||2||3||12||9||4||28|
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. - Two power-play tallies in the third period - including one with less than nine minutes to play - helped lead the Merrimack College men's ice hockey team to a come-from-behind tie against eighth-ranked Boston College in the first Hockey East league game of the season on Tuesday night at Lawler Rink.
Score: Merrimack 2, Boston College 2 (F/OT)
Records: Merrimack (2-3-1, 0-0-1 HEA) | #8 Boston College (4-2-1, 0-0-1 HEA)
Location: Lawler Rink | North Andover, Mass.
Game Duration: 2:20
How It Happened
- After a fast-moving first period went almost its entirety without either side scoring, despite Merrimack pouring 10 shots on net, Boston College's Scott Savage scored with the Eagles skating on a late power play to put the visitors on the board at the 17:52 mark of the first period.
- Things opened up a bit in the second period in terms of scoring chances, as both sides combined for 28 shots on goal (15-13 Merrimack).
- The middle frame moved quickly as well, with only three penalties called altogether, but the Eagles managed to double the lead off partial breakaway from Ryan Fitzgerald, who finished up his own rebound at 10:40 of the period to give the visitors a 2-0 lead entering the third.
- Merrimack, though, needed only a minute to get on the board at the start of the third stanza; while skating on their fifth power play of the night, the hosts lit the lamp after freshman Logan Coomes (Northville, Mich.) put away a loose puck in the crease to get the Warriors on the board. Fellow freshman Sami Tavernier (Morzine, France) recorded his first collegiate assist on that play.
- Merrimack fought off back-to-back penalties to keep the deficit at one and then capitalized on its sixth man advantage of the night; sophomore Mathieu Foget (Orleans, Ontario) scored his first of the year off a perfect feed from junior Brett Seney (London, Ontario), as the home side's second power-play strike of the night leveled the ledger at 2-2 with just under nine minutes to go.
- Merrimack had to fight off another BC power play minutes after that and then had a late man advantage of its own, but overtime was necessary after the horn sounded with the score still deadlocked at 2-all.
- The Eagles had more of the chances in overtime, outshooting Merrimack the a 4-2 margin, but in the end both sides would pick up a point in the standings after settling for the draw.
BC #1 (Savage/Brown/Cotton) | P1 17:52 (PP) - Scott Savage scores off a shot from the right wing dot after a cross-ice feed from the left wing from Christopher Brown.
BC #2 (R. Fitzgerald/Dudek/Gaudreau) | P2 10:40 - JD Dudek plays an outlet pass from the far blue line angled around the Merrimack defense up to Ryan Fitzgerald, who gets behind the defense, fires a shot from the bottom of the right wing circle, picks up the rebound and tucks it in on the goal line before Drew Vogler could recover.
MC #1 (Coomes/Tavernier/Gustafsson) | P3 1:00 (PP) - Hampus Gustafsson carries the puck down the right wing wall before backhanding the puck toward the net; his pass was blocked back to Sami Tavernier, who one-timed a slap shot from the far dot that was stopped but Logan Coomes, who was stationed in front of the crease, puts away the rebound.
MC #2 (Foget/Seney/Hennig) | P3 11:03 (PP) - Seney takes the puck around the left circle and sends a centering feed to Foget, who toe drags in the crease and waits out the goaltender before putting the puck home.
Seney | A. Larsson | Tibbet
Hennig | Gustafsson | Irvine
Coomes | L. Larsson| Tavernier
Babcock | Petti | Foget
Biega | Kovacevic
Kolquist | Titcomb
Spaxman | Lashyn
Game Leaders (MC // BC)
Points: Six tied (1) // Six tied (1)
Goals: Logan Coomes/Mathieu Foget (1) // Scott Savage/Ryan Fitzgerald (1)
Assists: Four tied (1) // Four tied (1)
Shots: Logan Coomes (6) // Ryan Fitzgerald (5)
Faceoffs Won: Ludvig Larsson (9) // Austin Cangelosi (21)
Saves: Drew Vogler (28-for-30) // Joe Woll (32-for-34)
Facts and Figures (MC // BC)
Power Plays: 2-7 // 1-4
Penalties: 4 Penalties - 8 Minutes // 8 Penalties - 24 Minutes
Faceoffs: 28 // 43
SOG: 10-4 // 15-13 // 7-9 // 2-4 // 34-30
Merrimack will continue a stretch of three games in five days when it remains home to take on Cornell University on Friday (Oct. 28) before continuing league play with a Saturday night trek to Dover to battle the University of New Hampshire. Puck drop each night is set for 7 p.m.