|1st||4:29||BU||1-0||EV||Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (11)||Patrick Harper/18|
|2nd||3:23||BU||2-0||PP GW||Chad Krys (4)||Bobo Carpenter/12, Dante Fabbro/8|
|2nd||6:59||BC||1-2||EV||Austin Cangelosi (12)||Matthew Gaudreau/21, Ryan Fitzgerald/15|
|2nd||11:06||BU||3-1||SH||Clayton Keller (14)||Charlie McAvoy/13|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (19-7-2)||1/6||4/8||1|
|Boston College (18-10-2)||0/4||6/12||0|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (W, 16-6-2)||60:00||1||2||16||5||23|
|Boston College Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Joseph Woll (L, 14-9-1)||59:26||3||11||3||11||25|
BOSTON - The No. 3 Boston University men's ice hockey team never trailed en route to a 3-1 victory over No. 7 Boston College in the opening round of the 65th annual Beanpot on Monday night at TD Garden.
Final Score: #3/3 Boston University 3, #7/7 Boston College 1
Records: BU (19-7-2), BC (18-10-2)
Location: TD Garden - Boston, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BU dominated the first period, outshooting the Eagles, 12-2, and scoring the lone goal of the frame just 4:29 into the proceedings. Freshman Patrick Harper skated up the left wing, circled around the BC cage and fired a shot on target that Joe Woll (25 saves) stopped. Sophomore Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson knocked home the rebound, however, for his 11th goal of the season.
- Freshman Chad Krys made it 2-0 with the Terriers' lone power-play goal of the contest at the 3:32 mark of the second stanza, with sophomore Bobo Carpenter and freshman Dante Fabbro both assisting on the play.
- BC cut the deficit in half minutes later, but freshman Clayton Keller answered back with a shorthanded strike at the 11:06 mark of the middle period. Sophomore Charlie McAvoy collected a puck in his own zone and eventually got it to Keller, who deftly defied a defender and slotted home his team-leading 14th goal of the campaign.
- BC took four penalties over the final 20 minutes, hampering its chance at a comeback as the Terriers held on for the victory.
- Harvard defeated Northeastern, 4-3, in the first semifinal and for the first time since 1998, BU and Harvard will face off in the Beanpot title game.
- The Terriers will be aiming for their 31st Beanpot crown while the Crimson is in search of its 11th and first since 1993.
- BU completed a regular-season sweep of the Eagles for the first time since the 1994-95 campaign.
- The Terriers' snapped a stretch of six straight losses to BC in Beanpot games with BU's last win over the Eagles in Beanpot play coming in the 2007 championship game.
- Keller extended his point streak to 15 games (11g, 14a), which is the longest by a Terrier since Jay Pandolfo also put together a 15-game streak during the 1995-96 season.
- Keller now has four shorthanded goals on the season, tying him with Union's Mike Vecchione for first in the nation.
- BU is now tied with Union for the most wins in the country with 19.
- Prior to the Terriers' meeting with No. 4 Harvard in next Monday's Beanpot title game, BU will head to No. 9/10 UMass Lowell on Friday night.
- Puck drop at the Tsongas Center is slated for 7:15 p.m.
- The Terriers defeated the River Hawks, 4-2, back on Jan. 28.