Senior forward Mike Borisenok picks up two goals

Senior forward Mike Borisenok scored two goals for the Wildcats

DURHAM, N.H. - Mike Borisenok (Watervliet, N.Y.) scored a career-high two goals to lead the University of New Hampshire men's hockey team to Saturday night's 5-2 victory against Northeastern University in Hockey East action at the Whittemore Center. The victory marked the 300th in Hockey East league play for UNH head coach Dick Umile.

UNH won for the second time in as many nights - the Wildcats were 2-1 overtime victors Friday night against Union College - to improve to 2-1-0 at home, 2-4-1 overall and 1-3-0 in Hockey East. Northeastern, which recorded a 4-0 home win vs. the 'Cats on Oct. 14, is now 1-4-1 overall, 1-4-1 Hockey East.

Umile, in his 22nd season at the helm of New Hampshire, has a Hockey East record of 300-147-73 and he is just the second coach to reach the 300-win benchmark in Hockey East league play. He is the winningest coach in program history with an overall mark of 486-249-85.

Both of Borisenok's linemates also finished with two points as Kevin McCarey (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) tallied a goal and an assist and Casey Thrush (Easton, Md.) had two assists for his first career multiple-point game.

UNH goaltender Matt Di Girolamo (Ambler, Pa.) made 15 saves while NU goalie Clay Witt stopped 33 shots with 10 saves in the first period, 13 in the second and 10 in the third.

Borisenok netted first-period goals at 8:22 and 13:17 to give the Wildcats a 2-0 lead through 20 minutes. He scored his first of the season at the left doorstep off a feed from McCarey. Thrush also set up the next goal as he carried the puck into the offensive zone on the right wing and fired a shot that was blocked by an NU defenseman. The puck continued towards the net, however, and Borisenok snapped a shot past Witt into the cage.

The Huskies, who were outshot 12-3 in the first period, pulled within 2-1 at 5:56 of the second stanza. Vinny Saponari carried the puck into the zone on the left wing and threw the puck to the slot, where Justin Daniels scored on a one-timer. Steve Quailer was also credited with an assist.

UNH reestablished a two-goal lead of 3-1 at 10:57. Trevor van Riemsdyk (Middletown, N.J.) gained possession near the top of the defensive zone and quickly made a head-man pass to McCarey in the neutral zone. McCarey advanced to the high slot and fired two shots that were stopped by Witt, but he continued toward the net and chopped the loose puck underneath the NU goalie and it trickled across the goal line.

Northeastern trimmed the deficit to 3-2 with 45 seconds remaining in the middle stanza. Rob Dongara led a 4-on-2 rush down the right wing and he dropped a pass back to the high slot, where Ludwig Karlsson snapped a high wrister past Di Girolamo into the net.

The start of the third period was delayed 15 minutes because the arena lights went out, then there was another delay of equal time just 76 seconds into the final frame.

Seven minutes into the third period, Jeff Silengo (Madison, Conn.) was alone in the low slot and slapped a low one-timer that Witt turned aside. Witt could not stop a redirection in the slot off the stick of Austin Block (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) as the Wildcats took a 4-2 lead at 7:21. Silengo, with the centering pass from the left circle, and Kevin Goumas (Long Beach, N.Y.), set up the goal.

Stevie Moses (Leominster, Mass.) scored a power-play goal at 16:01 to extend its advantage to 5-2. Dalton Speelman (San Jose, Calif.), with the pass across the crease to Moses at the left post, and Nick Sorkin (Rockville, Md.) were credited with assists.

New Hampshire concludes its four-game homestand with two home games next weekend. The Wildcats play host to the University of Massachusetts on Nov. 4 and then face off against the University of Maine on Nov. 5. Both games at the Whittemore Center begin at 7 p.m.