Junior forward Joey Diamond had a goal and two assists for the Black Bears

Junior forward Joey Diamond had a goal and two assists for the Black Bears

ORONO, Maine - Brian Flynn (Lynnfield, Mass.) scored a pair of goals, including the 150th point of his career, as the University of Maine men's ice hockey team skated past UMass 7-3 on Friday night at Alfond Arena. Maine improves to 18-9-3 on the season and 13-8-2 in Hockey East play, while UMass falls to 10-14-5 overall, 6-12-4 in conference play.

Maine wasted no time getting on the scoreboard as Kyle Beattie (Avondale, Ariz.) recovered a UMass turnover, skated in, and wristed a shot past UMass goalie Steve Mastalerz just 4:28 into the first period. For Beattie, it was his fifth goal of the season. Nick Pryor (Woodbury, Minn.) added to the Maine lead at 14:02 of the first period when he received a pass from Adam Shemansky (Robbinsville, N.J.) and fired a shot into the back of the net from just inside the blueline on the power play. Beattie also assisted on the play.

Maine took a 3-0 lead late in the first period when Joey Diamond (Long Beach, N.Y.) found a wide-open Flynn just outside the crease. Flynn one-timed the puck into the back of the net with just 22 seconds remaining in the first period. Spencer Abbott (Hamilton, Ontario) also assisted on the play.

Diamond found Flynn once again midway through the second period from behind the net and his shot from the face-off circle beat Mastalerz as the Black Bears extended their lead to 4-0 at 11:45. Jake Rutt (Scarborough, Maine) also assisted on the play. Maine made it a 5-0 lead less than two minutes later. In the neutral zone, Will O'Neill (Salem, Mass.) fed the puck to Matt Mangene (Miller Place, N.Y.) who beat a pair of UMass defenders before stuffing the puck into the goal. For Mangene, it was his sixth straight game with a goal, leaving him just two games shy of tying the school record for consecutive games with a goal.

Diamond then scored a highlight-reel goal at 18:21 of the second period. He got a pass from Abbott and broke in alone on UMass goalie Kevin Boyle, who had replaced Mastalerz. Boyle attempted to make the save, but Diamond kept the puck and backhanded it into the net. For Diamond, it was his team-leading 19th goal of the season.

UMass got on the scoreboard 5:48 into the third period when Patrick Kiley shot a puck that elude the Maine defense and goalie Dan Sullivan to find the back of the net. For Kiley, it was his forth goal of the season. UMass added a second goal just three minutes later when Kevin Czepiel tipped a Michael Marcou shot from the point past Sullivan. Rocco Carzo also assisted on the goal.

The Minutemen made it a 6-3 game at 18:42 of the third period when Michael Pereira followed up on a Conor Sheary shot and fired the puck past Maine goalie Martin Ouellette (St.-Hippolyte, Quebec), who had replaced Sullivan.

Maine capped the scoring just 15 seconds later when Theo Andersson (Gothenburg, Sweden) fired a John Parker (Green Brook, N.J.) into the back of the net. For Andersson, it was his first goal of the season.

Maine outshot UMass 32-23 in the game. The Black Bears were 1-for-4 on the power play, while UMass was scoreless in four opportunities. Maine has now killed off 19 straight opponent power play.

Maine goalie Sullivan made 18 saves in goal and improves to 17-6-3 on the season. Ouellette stopped a pair of shots in 5:49, while surrendering a goal.

Mastalerz made 12 saves in 33:10 for the Minutemen. He falls to 3-5-0 on the season. Boyle made 13 saves in 26:50.

Maine and UMass conclude their two-game weekend series on Saturday, Feb. 18. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 PM at Alfond.