Senior forward Spencer Abbott posts goal and three assists for Black Bears

Senior forward Spencer Abbott had a goal and three assists for the Black Bears

ORONO, Maine-- Brian Flynn (Lynnfield, Mass.) and Spencer Abbott (Hamilton, Ontario) each had a goal and three assists, while Joey Diamond (Long Beach, N.Y.) had a pair of goals to lead the University of Maine men's ice hockey team to a 7-3 win over the University of New Brunswick in exhibition play on Sunday afternoon at Alfond Arena.

With the Black Bears skating short-handed, Abbott tallied Maine's first goal of the afternoon just 4:09 into the first period. Abbott forced a turnover at the Maine blueline and skated the puck into the New Brunswick zone on a 2-on-1. Abbott sent a pass cross ice to Flynn who returned the puck right back where Abbott was able to bury a shot into the back of the net.

The Varsity Reds would waste no time tying things up as Ben Shutron connected with Lyke Lynes just 31 seconds later. Lynes was able to beat Maine goaltender Dan Sullivan (York, Pa.) to get New Brunswick on the board.

Maine took advantage of a power play opportunity 7:54 into the first period as Flynn was able to light the lamp, regaining a one goal advantage for the Black Bears. Abbott controlled the puck at the point before sending the puck deep into the New Brunswick zone to Adam Shemansky (Robbinsville, N.J.). Shemansky immediately slid the puck through the center zone to Flynn who one-timed the puck past New Brunswick goaltender Daniel Lacosta.

Joey Diamond (Long Beach, N.Y.) extended the Black Bear lead to 3-1 13:12 into the first period. Diamond battled down low for Maine as he was able to free up the puck and tap a shot by an extended Lacosta. Abbott and Flynn (Salem, Mass.) were credited with assists on the play.

New Brunswick cut the Maine lead to 3-2 with just 1:53 remaining in the first period as Thomas Nesbitt received a pass from Dion Campbell and fired a wrist shot into the back of the net.

Maine opened the second period with more scoring as Theo Andersson (Gothenburg, Sweden) worked the puck to John Parker (Green Brook, N.J.). Parker sent a pass back to the blueline where Brice O'Connor (Londonderry, N.H.) blasted a shot from the point, lighting the lamp 2:57 into the second period.

Shemansky would get in on the scoring 8:10 into the second period when he tallied Maine's second power play goal of the contest. O' Neill worked the puck down low to Shemansky who was able to beat LaCosta, extending Maine's lead to 5-2.

Freshman Pietro Antonelli (Blainville, Quebec) found the back of the net as Maine attacked with a full freshman core. Parker worked the puck around to first year defenseman Bill Norman (Stokholm, Sweden). Norman sent a shot at the net that Antonelli was able to tip down and slap past LaCosta.

The Black Bears gained a five-goal advantage with 1:18 to play in the second period when Diamond lit the lamp for the second time on the day. Flynn moved the puck up ice to Shemansky who skated it into a crowd in front, releasing the puck towards the net where Diamond was again battling and able to chop it in to give Maine a 7-2 lead heading into the third period of play.

New Brunswick scored the lone goal of the third period when Marc-Antoine Desnoyers fed Luke Gallant who fired a shot past Maine goalie Martin Ouellette (St.-Hippolyte, Quebec), who had replaced Sullivan midway through the game.

New Brunswick finished the game with a slim 31-28 edge in shots on goal. The Black Bears were 3-for-9 on the power play, while holding New Brunswick scoreless in six chances.

Maine goalie Dan Sullivan picked up the win, making 12 saves in 29:51. He was replaced my Ouellette who stopped 16 shots in 30:09.

Maine opens the 2011 regular season on Friday, Oct. 7 when it hosts Merrimack at 7 PM. Tickets are on sale and can be purchased at the Black Bear ticket office by calling 207-581-BEAR or 1-800-756-TEAM.