Senior goaltender Kieran Millan turns aside 33 shots for Terriers

Senior goaltender Kieran Millan had 33 saves for the Terriers

BOSTON, Mass. - Two goals in a span of 36 seconds in the third period broke a 1-1 tie and helped to push the No. 16 Boston University men's ice hockey team past New Hampshire, 4-1, on Saturday night at Agganis Arena. Senior goaltender Kieran Millan made 33 saves, including 22 in the third period, to earn his fifth win of the season.

Four different Terriers lit the lamp and senior captain Chris Connolly added a pair of assists in the victory.

BU extended its win streak to three games and improved to 6-4-1 on the year and 5-3-1 in Hockey East play. The Wildcats had their seven-game unbeaten streak (5-0-2) snapped and fell to even marks of 5-5-2 overall and 4-4-1 in the league.

The Terriers defeated UNH for the fourth straight meeting, their longest streak in the series since winning six straight from Nov. 11, 1995, to March 15, 1997.

Junior forward Wade Megan opened the scoring midway through the game with his sixth goal of the season. Freshman Evan Rodrigues intercepted a UNH pass in the neutral zone and caromed the puck off the left boards to Megan, who skated to the foot of the left circle before taking a shot that went off UNH netminder Matt Di Girolamo and in. It was Megan's fourth goal in the last three contests.

UNH tied the score at 1-1 with freshman Trevor van Riemsdyk's first career goal at 5:05 of the third, but the Terriers wasted little time in regaining the lead.

Just over two minutes after the visitors got on the board, junior defenseman Max Nicasto potted his first goal of the season to put BU on top once again. A clearing attempt by the Wildcats behind the BU goal was picked off along the boards by Connolly, who found Nicastro at the left point.

Moments after Nicastro's tally, senior Corey Trivino made it 3-1 thanks to a nifty pass from Connolly on a rush. Sophomore Sahir Gill also assisted on the play, which extended Trivino's goal-scoring streak to five games.

Sophomore forward Matt Nieto iced the game on a long empty-netter with 1:03 remaining in regulation, as he corralled a blocked shot before clearing the puck nearly 175 feet down the ice and into the goal.

Di Girolamo made 23 saves for the Wildcats, who held a 23-8 shot advantage in the third period. Neither team was able to convert a power-play goal, as UNH had four chances and the Terriers had a pair.

BU will return to action on Saturday, Nov. 26, when they take on No. 18 Cornell in the third installment of Red Hot Hockey at Madison Square Garden. UNH will have a short turnaround before traveling to face Harvard on Tuesday (Nov. 22).