Jordan Kremyr, Matt Germian and Ben Farrer score goals for Friars

Ben Farrer tallied the game-winner for the Friars

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College men's hockey team used three different goal scorers, including two in the third period to defeat Northeastern, 3-2, Friday night in the season opener at Schneider Arena. It marks the second consecutive season in which the Friars have begun the season with a victory.

With the score deadlocked at 1-1, senior Matt Germain (Rockland, Mass.) scored from in close on the power play at the 9:00 mark, but it was not initially ruled a goal. Freshman Derek Army (North Kingstown, R.I.) fired a shot from close range and after a scramble in the crease, Germain tapped the puck in, but the puck came out of the back of the net after the rear of the cage was lifted from contact. Play went on for 1:05 before it could be reviewed, but it was ruled a goal to give the Friars a 1-0 lead.

Providence then added to its lead at 16:25 when senior Ian O'Connor (Londonderry, N.H.) stole the puck inside the Northeastern zone and slid a pass to classmate Ben Farrer (Calgary, Alberta) whose shot from the left circle beat NU goalie Chris Rawlings to make the score, 3-1. The Huskies pulled Rawlings for an extra skater and Brodie Reed scored from in close to cut the margin to 3-2 with 27 seconds remaining. However, the Friars held on to record their first win over Northeastern since January 26, 2008.

Northeastern took a 1-0 lead at the 13:17 mark when Cody Ferriero collected a loose back in the slot, turned and ripped a high wrist shot past PC goalie Alex Beaudry (Cumberland, Ontario). Senior Jordan Kremyr (Cloverdale, B.C.) evened the score at 18:22 after a three-on-two rush. Freshman Damian Cross (Nepean, Ontario) skated into the NU zone before dropping the puck back to sophomore Tim Schaller (Merrimack, N.H.) at the right wing. Schaller then slid a pass to the slot to a streaking Kremyr, who fired a wrist shot short side and into the back of the net.

Providence finished with a 29-22 shot advantage, including a 10-4 edge in the second period. Rawlings had 26 stops, while Beaudry finished with 20 saves for the Friars who had to kill off a five-minute major in the second period.

The Friars are back in action on Friday, October 15 when they travel to face Minnesota-Duluth for the first of two games against the Bulldogs.