Sophomore forward Matt Mangene nets game-winning goal for Black Bears

Sophomore forward Matt Mangene picked up the game-winning goal for Maine

ESTERO, Fla. -- Matt Mangene (Manorville, N.Y.) scored 2:39 into overtime to lift the University of Maine men's ice hockey team past Cornell 3-2 in the consolation game of the 2010 Florida College Classic. Maine improves to 9-5-4 on the season with the win, while Cornell falls to 4-8-1.

Maine got on the board 1:55 into the first period when Mark Anthoine (Lewiston, Maine) netted his first collegiate goal. Will O'Neill (Salem, Mass.) began the play. Theo Andersson (Gothenburg, Sweden) then got the puck to Anthoine in the left face-off circle who fired it past Cornell goalie Mike Garman.

Nick D'Agostino tied the game for the Big Red at 5:11 of the first period. Greg Miller also assisted on the play. Chris Moulson gave Cornell a 2-1 lead when he scored on the rebound of his initial shot 1:01 into the second period.

Robby Dee (Plymouth, Minn.) tied the game at 2-2 when he scored a power play goal at 8:27 of the third period. Tanner House (Cochrane, Alberta) and O'Neill each assisted on the goal which was scored just in front of the goal. For Dee, it was his eighth goal of the season and second of the tournament.

Neither team scored the remainder of regulation. In overtime, Gustav Nyquist (Malmo, Sweden) tipped the puck off the boards up to Matt Mangene. Mangene then found Spencer Abbott (Hamilton, Ontario) who had a great scoring chance, but it was Mangene trailing the play that was able to knock home the puck, giving Maine the 3-2 win 2:39 into the extra frame.

Maine goalie Matin Ouellette (St.-Hippolyte, Quebec) made 21 saves in goal for the Black Bears. He improves ot 2-1-1 on the season. Garman made 29 saves and falls to 2-5-0.

Maine outshot Cornell 32-23 in the game. The Black Bears were 1-for-5, while Cornell was scoreless in one chance.

The Black Bears return to action on Sunday, Jan. 2 when they host the U.S. Under-18 Team at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland, Maine. Puck drop is scheduled for 4 PM.