Michael Scheu's second goal of game comes in final minute of overtime

UML's Michael Scheu celebrates the game-winner

BOSTON, Mass. - Despite erasing a three-goal deficit in the third period, #14 UMass Lowell dashed Northeastern's bid at a comeback as Michael Scheu sent in the game-winning overtime goal for the 6-5 win at Matthews Arena on Saturday night. The Huskies outshot UML, 19-7, in the third frame with junior Wade MacLeod sewing up the score at 15:37. UMass Lowell had a trifecta of three-goal leads over the course of the game.

OTHER LINKS: Michael Scheu and Blaise MacDonald Postgame Audio

Important note: Due to technical difficulties with Saturday's broadcast of the UMass Lowell at Northeastern game, NESN has added an encore of the game on Sunday, January 10 at 2:30pm for any fans who missed out on Saturday's telecast.

Northeastern slips to 8-9-1 (4-8-1 HEA) as the River Hawks climb to 12-7-1 (6-4-1 HEA).

Five Huskies registered two points or better, including junior Tyler McNeely's playmaker (three assists). The last time a Husky doled out three helpers was when senior Chris Donovan turned the trick against Boston College on Feb. 2, 2009.

Senior Jim Driscoll made it a 5-4 game at 14:49 of the third, marking his first goal since Feb. 27, 2009 against the River Hawks. Driscoll also factored in an assist to chart his first-career two-point game. The Dedham, Mass. defensman leads all Huskies with 118-career games played.

UMass Lowell took command early, tallying the first three goals of the contest before senior Kyle Kraemer stopped the bleeding at 15:23 of the first period.

Chris Auger lit the lamp right off the bat and wristed a quick bullet past rookie goalie Chris Rawlings at 1:17 of the opening stanza. Scott Campbell scooted the puck out from behind NU's net to Nick Schaus along the boards. Schaus linked up with Auger in-stride for the 1-0 advantage.

Paul Worthington was the beneficiary of a behind-the-back pass from Kory Falite at 7:53 of the first. Ben Holmstrom wrangled the puck off the boards, sent it to Falite on the corner who whipped it behind to Worthington's waiting stick for the 2-0 buffer. Jeremy Dehner added another UML tally at 11:20 with a goal from his own rebound. Dehner grabbed the carom from his initial blast, peeled around the net, and stuffed it past Rawlings' outstretched right pad for the 3-0 cushion.

Northeastern generated its first goal of the game out of its defensive zone as Driscoll attempted to dump the puck with a big backhand off the glass. Luckily for NU, the puck hopped over a River Hawk to McNeely. McNeely carried the puck into the zone and waited for his linemate to skate into place. McNeely dished it through traffic to the crease where Kraemer was waiting to tip it in to cut the lead, 3-1.

At 7:47 of the second, Campbell beat Rawlings right in front on Schaus' rebound to negate Kraemer's tally and maintain the three-goal advantage, 4-1.

Steve Silva's contact to the head roughing call with five second remaining in the second handicapped NU's numbers in the final 20 minutes, but the Huskies immediately rallied to start the third thanks to freshman Jake Newton's first-career shorthanded goal at 00:55. Senior Greg Costa kicked over Robbie Vrolyk's rebound to Newton on the far post to make it a 4-2 game.

Scheu cashed in on the Silva penalty at 1:52 of the third on a feed from David Vallorani. Scheu banged home the pass on Rawlings' glove side to reclaim the three-goal edge, 5-2, but Northeastern roared back with three unanswered to extend the game to overtime.

Kraemer recorded his third-career two-goal game thanks to a five-on-three powerplay blast at 6:50. NU's fourth five-on-three goal started when McNeely left the puck for freshman Garrett Vermeersch on the far boards. Kraemer accepted the drop pass from Vermeersch and muscled a wrist shot past Hutton to creep within two, 5-3.

Driscoll capitalized on an open net after Hutton dove to steal the puck from McNeely at 14:49. Tuckerman backhanded the puck to McNeely from behind the net and as the pass was open for the steal, Driscoll lifted it in to cut it to one, 5-4.

Steve Capraro's tripping penalty at 15:26 gave way to MacLeod's equalizer at 15:37. Vermeersch snapped the puck to the point where Newton unleashed a slap shot that generated a wide rebound to MacLeod. The Coquitlam, B.C. native lasered a shot over Hutton's glove to tie it, 5-5.

A Falite-to-Scheu give-and-go goal was the dagger in Northeastern's comeback with just 16 seconds in regulation. Scheu crashed the post and tipped in Falite's feed at 4:34 for the win.

The Huskies outshot UML, 35-31, as Rawlings made 25 stops on the evening. Hutton posted 30 saves in the win.

Northeastern returns to Matthews Arena tomorrow night for an 8 p.m. showdown with Massachusetts. UMass is the last team NU has not seen yet in Hockey East play this year. Sunday night's contest will be broadcast to a national audience on ESPNU. Dan Parkhurst and Barry Melrose will have the call.