Senior Kory Falite posts two goals and assist for River Hawks

Kory Falite had a two goals and an assist for UML

ORONO, Maine -- The University of Maine men's ice hockey team dropped a 4-2 decision to UMass Lowell on Saturday night at Alfond Arena in Orono, Maine. Maine falls to 15-12-3 on the season and 12-9-2 in Hockey East play. UMass Lowell improves to 16-14-2 overall and 10-11-2 in conference play.

OTHER LINKS: Blaise MacDonald Postgame Audio

The Black Bears would jump out to a 1-0 lead 12:13 into the first period when Jeff Dimmen (Colorado Springs, Colo.) notched a power play goal. For Dimmen, it was his 10th goal of the season and fourth straight game with a goal. The play started with Gustav Nyquist (Malmo, Sweden) controlling the puck in the right circle. Nyquist sent a pass back to the blue line that Dimmen corralled in the center of the zone. Dimmen then unleashed a slap shot that trickled through a crowd and slipped by River Hawk goaltender Carter Hutton.

Lowell would take advantage of a Maine hooking penalty just over two minutes later, tying the game at one goal a piece. Scott Campbell won the draw for the River Hawks directly back to defenseman Ryan Blair. Blair then sent a pass to Colin Wright who beat Scott Darling (Lemont, Ill.) to tie the game, 1-1.

After successfully killing off a penalty, the Black Bears would not be able to clear the zone, resulting in the River Hawks keeping the pressure on and Riley Wetmore putting Lowell up 2-1. Jeremy Dehner would keep the puck in the zone and send a pass to a streaking Kory Falite. Falite slid a pass to Wetmore who snuck a shot by Darling to put the River Hawks on top with just 19 seconds remaining in the second period.

The River Hawks would extend their lead to 3-1 just 1:40 into the third period when Falite beat Darling for his 15th goal of the season. The goal was set up by Patrick Cey who sent the puck in towards the Maine net. The puck was kicked away but trickled a pass right in front of the crease to Falite. Ben Holmstrom also assisted on the goal for the River Hawks.

The Black Bears would cut the Lowell lead to just one goal when Brian Flynn (Lynnfield, Mass.) notched his sixth goal of the weekend with 11:19 left to play in the third period. Flynn got a pass from Nyquist and skated into the River Hawk zone. Flynn would control the puck all alone in the left circle before firing a wrist shot by a screened Hutton, bringing the score to 3-2.

However, just over two minutes later, the River Hawks would regain their two goal lead when Falite beat Darling with a wrist shot. For Falite, it was his second goal of the game. Wright and Barry Goers each assisted on the goal.

The Black Bears would pull Darling with 1:44 remaining in the third period but were not able to find the back of the net, dropping the contest by a score of 4-2.

UMass Lowell held a 31-26 edge in shots on goal. The Black Bears finished 1-for-5 on the power play, while UMass Lowell was 1-for-4.

Maine goalie Scott Darling made 27 saves in 58:16. He falls to 15-5-3 on the season. Carter Hutton made 24 saves in goal for the River Hawks. He improves to 10-10-0 on the season.

The Black Bears return to action on Friday. Feb. 26 when they travel to Merrimack. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 PM.