Sophomore Brian Flynn posts five goals and two assists for Black Bears

Brian Flynn had seven points for the Black Bears

ORONO, Maine - Brian Flynn (Lynnfield, Mass.) scored five goals and dished out two assists to lead the University of Maine men's ice hockey team past UMass Lowell 8-4 on Friday night at Alfond Arena. His five goals ties the Maine record for goals scored in a game, while the seven points sets a new school record. The Black Bears improve to 15-11-3 on the season and 12-8-2 in Hockey East play, while Lowell drops to 15-14-2 and 9-11-2 in Hockey East action.

Gustav Nyquist (Malmo, Sweden) tallied a goal and four assists, while Tanner House (Cochrane, Alberta) also picked up four assists in the game. The line of Flynn, House and Nyquist combined to score six goals and dish out 10 assists.

The Black Bears opened the scoring 4:20 into the first period when Flynn tipped in his 10th goal of the season. The play was started with some great stick handling in the Lowell zone by Nyquist. Nyquist carried the puck around the zone and slid a pass into the middle to House. House tried to sneak a back hand by River Hawk goaltender Nevin Hamilton, but Flynn would instead stuff the puck home on the right post.

With 7:28 remaining in the first period, Flynn would again find the back of the net to put the Black Bears up 2-0. Nyquist would send the puck to the top of the right circle where Jeff Dimmen (Colorado Springs, Colo.) would send a slap shot at Hamilton. The puck would dribble in and through a crowd and eventually find Flynn waiting again on the right post where he tapped in his second goal of the game.

Just over a minute later, the River Hawks would cut the lead in half after Riley Wetmore would fight to keep the puck in the Maine zone, gaining control and sending a pass to Jonathan Maniff. Maniff found Michael Budd as Budd beat Maine goaltender Scott Darling (Lemont, Ill.) to cut the lead in half.

Maine would jump back out to a two-goal advantage when Nyquist lit the lamp for the 15th time this season. House skated in the Lowell zone and found Flynn. Flynn ripped a shot that Hamilton deflected off to his left. Nyquist quickly jumped on the rebound and unleased a wrist shot that clanged off the pipe. The goal was reviewed and ruled a goal, giving Maine a 3-1 lead.

Flynn would kick off the second period much like he did the first, picking up his hat trick just 3:35 into the second period. House ripped a shot on new Lowell goaltender Carter Hutton. Hutton kicked the save wide, but Flynn was right there to clean up the rebound for his third goal of the contest.

Colin Wright would pick up the second goal of the game for the River Hawks when he forced a turnover in the Maine zone, skated in and beat Darling to cut the Black Bear lead to 4-2 with 11:36 remaining.

The River Hawks would tighten the game even more when Ben Holmstrom scored with 1:44 remaining in the second period. Falite would find Holmstrom who ripped a shot into the back of the net to cut the lead to 4-3 heading into the third period.

Maine would waste no time building their two goal lead back as Flynn put the Black Bears up 5-3 just 45 seconds into the third period. The goal was started when Nyquist controlled the puck in the Lowell zone. Nyquist skated into the right circle and fired a pass across ice that Flynn redirected past Hutton.

Lowell would battle back, again cutting the Black Bear lead to just one goal when Worthington beat Darling with 13:01 remaining in the third period. Holmstrom and Barry Goers assisted on the play for the River Hawks.

Maine would then pick up three goals in the next 1:11. The Black Bears would capitalize on the power play with 7:18 remaining in the third period. The play was set up beautifully as Flynn controlled the puck in the left circle and sent a pass through the middle to the opposite blue line that found Spencer Abbott (Hamilton, Ontario). Abbott immediately sent a pass right back through the zone that found David deKastrozza on the left post, gained control and backhanded the puck past Hutton.

The next Black Bear goal would prove to be a record-breaker for Flynn. Nyquist sent a pass to Mark Nemec (Rouses Point, N.Y.). Nemec then found Flynn who fired in his fifth goal of the night. His five goals and two assists on the evening gave him seven total points, which is a new school record for points in a game. The fifth goal tied the school-record for goals in a game with five. It was initially set in 1978 by Gary Conn against Mount Allison and tied in 1987 by Jay Mazur against Lowell.

Just 30 seconds later, Dimmen would score the eighth and final goal for the Black Bears. deKastrozza worked the puck to Robby Dee (Plymouth, Minn.) in the zone. Dee then found Dimmen who deposited the puck into the back of the net. The Black Bears would hold on and take the contest by the score of 8-4.

Maine outshot UMass Lowell 26-17, including 14-1 in the third period.

The Black Bears did not get called for a penalty in the contest while Lowell picked up three penalties, one that Maine would capitalize. The Black Bears raised their nation-leading power play to 29.8 percent.

Darling made 13 saves in the game and improves to 15-4-3 on the season while Hutton takes the loss and falls to 9-10-0 after making 13 saves. Hamilton made five saves for Lowell after giving up three goals in the first 17:32.

The Black Bears return to action on Saturday, Feb. 20 when they conclude their weekend series with UMass Lowell. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 PM at Alfond Arena. Tickets are available at the door.