David deKastrozza nets two goals for the Black Bears

David deKastrozza had two goals for the Black Bears

ORONO, Maine -- The University of Maine men's ice hockey team recorded an impressive 4-1 win over the University of New Brunswick in an exhibition on Tuesday night at Alfond Arena in Orono, Maine. The Black Bears got a pair of goals from senior David deKastrozza (Toms River, N.J.), while sophomore forwards Gustav Nyquist (Malmo, Sweden) and Spencer Abbott (Hamilton, Ontario) each added a pair of assists.

New Brunswick, the defending national champion in Canada, entered the game with a record of 29-1. The Varsity Reds had wins over Hockey East teams Vermont, Providence and Massachusetts this season, with their lone loss coming to the Portland Pirates of the AHL.

The Black Bears opened the scoring 3:41 into the first period when Brian Flynn (Lynnfield, Mass.) found the back of the net. Captain Tanner House (Cochrane, Alberta) dumped the puck into the right circle to Gustav Nyquist. Nyquist threw a pass across the middle that found Flynn's stick as he deposited it into the back of the net to give Maine a 1-0 advantage.

The Varsity Reds would waste no time tying the game just 39 seconds into the second period when Kyle Bailey stole the puck in the Maine zone and skated down the left side on a 2-on-1 advantage. Bailey fired a wrist shot on net that snuck by Black Bear goaltender David Wilson (Caledon East, Ontario) high on his glove side to even the score at one.

Maine would regain their lead 7:00 into the second period when David deKastrozza beat New Brunswick goaltender Derek Yeomans while the Black Bears skated on the one man advantage. Spencer Abbott found Josh Van Dyk (Woodstock, Ontario) on the blueline. Van Dyk fired a shot on goal that deKastrozza was able to redirect pass UNB goalie Derek Yeomans.

The Black Bears would continue their success on the power play when Will O'Neill (Salem, Mass.) gave Maine a two goal advantage just over two minutes later. Nyquist gathered the puck near the right circle and sent a pass to the blue line where O'Neill was waiting. O'Neill then unleashed a wrist shot, beating Yeomans. Nyquist's notched his second assist of the game on the goal.

After skating the majority of the third period without a score, deKastrozza would add to the Maine lead when he notched his second goal of the contest with 4:16 remaining in the third period. Spencer Abbott worked the puck around the zone and found deKastrozza to the left of New Brunswick goaltender Travis Fullerton. deKastrozza would put the game away on his wrist shot from the left circle. Brett Carriere (Ottawa, Ontario) also assisted on the goal for the Black Bears.

New Brunswick finished the game with a slim 21-19 edge in shots. The Black Bears finished the game 2-for-5 on the power play, while New Brunswick was 0-for-5.

Maine goalie Dave Wilson was impressive, making 20 saves. Derek Yeomans stopped 12 shots in 40 minutes of play for the Varsity Reds. Travis Fullerton played the final 20 minutes and made three saves.

The Black Bears return to action on Saturday, Jan. 23 when they host the US Under 18 Team in an exhibition game at 7 PM at Alfond Arena.