Robby Dee nets game-tying goal for Maine

Robby Dee scored the tying goal for Maine

ORONO, Maine - Gustav Nyquist (Malmo, Sweden) and Tanner House (Cochrane, Alberta) each scored a goal and added an assist as the University of Maine men's ice hockey team skated to a 3-3 tie with Boston College on Saturday night at Alfond Arena in Orono, Maine. The Black Bears move to 4-7-1 on the season and 3-4-1 in Hockey East play, while Boston College sees its record move to 5-3-2, 4-3-2 in conference play.

The two teams played a scoreless first period. Maine goalie Scott Darling (Lemont, Ill.) made a save on a breakaway by Boston College's Cam Atkinson (Greenwich, Conn.) midway through the period to keep the game tied 0-0. The Black Bears finished the period with a commanding 10-4 edge in shots on goal.

Maine opened the scoring with a goal at 7:20 of the second period. Josh Van Dyk (Woodstock, Ontario) fed Spencer Abbott (Hamilton, Ontario) who skated to the blueline. Abbott rifled a shot that Maine captain Tanner House was able to tip past Boston College goalie John Muse (East Falmouth, Mass.) from the right post.

The Black Bears took a 2-0 lead on a great play by Gustav Nyquist (Malmo, Sweden). Ryan Hegarty (Arlington, Mass.) began the play when he got the puck to Van Dyk. Van Dyk found Nyquist who skated down the left side of the ice, before firing a shot past Boston College goalie Muse for his team-leading seventh goal of the season at 10:08 of the second period.

Darling made and unbelievable save on Boston College's Barry Almeida midway through the second period. Darling had just made and save, when the puck with to Almeida on the opposite side of the goal. He dove across the crease, knocking the puck out of midair.

The Eagles got on the scoreboard late in the second period. Boston College was able to force a Maine turnover and Ben Smith (Avon, Conn.) fed Pat Mullane (Wallingford, Conn.) who beat Darling. The Eagles tied the game just 2:11 into the third period. Brian Dumoulin (Biddeford, Maine) and Brian Gibbons (Braintree, Mass.) teamed up to find Carl Sneep (Nisswa, Minn.) who beat Darling with a shot from the slot on the power play.

Boston College took its first lead of the game at 4:23 when Ben Smith scored his team-leading eighth goal of the season from the right face-off circle. Gibbons assisted on the goal.

The lead was short-lived as the Black Bears were able to tie the game up just over two minutes later. Robby Dee (Plymouth, Minn.) appeared to have scored the equalizer, but the puck hit off the goal post and back out. Dee would not quit and was finally able to beat Muse for a power play goal at 6:48. For Dee, it was his third goal of the season. Nyquist and House each assisted on the goal by Dee.    Both teams had several chances during the second half of the third period and in overtime, but neither team was able to capitalize.

 Boston College finished the game with a slim 31-29 edge in shots. The Black Bears were 1-for-9 on the power play, while the Eagles were 1-for-5 with the man advantage.

 Maine goalie Darling made 28 saves in goal. He moves to 4-3-1 on the season. Muse stopped 26 shots for the Eagles. He sees his record go to 3-3-2.

The Black Bears return to action on Friday, Nov. 27 when they travel to UMass Lowell for a 7 PM game against the River Hawks. Boston College next hosts Clarkson on Friday, Nov. 27. Puck drop is scheduled for 5 PM at Conte Forum.