Wade MacLeod scored the game-tying goal for NU

BOSTON, Mass. - Despite jumping out to a 2-0 first-period lead behind goals from senior Brandon Yip and sophomore Colin Wilson, the top-ranked Boston University men's ice hockey team settled for a 2-2 overtime tie with No. 4/5 Northeastern on Friday evening at Agganis Arena. The Terriers extended their nation-best unbeaten streak to 11 games and moved to 23-5-3 overall with a 14-5-3 Hockey East record.

Northeastern (20-8-3, 15-5-2) rallied back with goals less than three minutes apart in the second period, as sophomores Steve Silva and Wade MacLeod each found the back of the net to draw the Huskies even.

Neither team was able to score in the final 31 minutes of play, allowing the Huskies to maintain their one-point lead over the Terriers for first place in the league standings.

BU held a 24-22 shot advantage, as junior Brad Thiessen made 22 saves for the visitors and freshman Kieran Millan turned in a 20-save performance for the Terriers. BU went 1-of-5 with the man advantage on the evening, while Northeastern went 1-of-4.

After a sluggish start in the opening minutes, the Terriers ended up dominating the majority of the first and came away with a pair of goals in the stanza.

BU opened the scoring 7:23 into the contest when senior co-captain Matt Gilroy intercepted an outlet pass just outside the BU zone and skated in along the left side before putting a pass on the stick of Yip, who was streaking down the right slot. The right wing converted above the right post for his 12th goal of the season.

The Terriers made it a 2-0 affair on a power-play tally with just 39 seconds left to play in the first. Following a saved shot by Shattenkirk from the top of the right circle, Wilson was quick to the rebound near the right post and elevated the puck the top right corner of the net to record his 13th tally of the year. Senior Chris Higgins also assisted on the play.

The middle period belonged to the Huskies, as they successfully erased their deficit and held BU to just four shots.

Silva tallied his second goal of the season at the 10:38 mark, one-timing an effort from the right circle off a pass from junior Greg Costa. Senior Louis Liotti was also credited with a helper on the tally.

Northeastern had three power-play opportunities in the second period and cashed in on the middle try to make it a 2-2 contest. MacLeod possessed the puck behind the BU goal for several seconds before coming in around the right post and sending a shot on goal that went off Millan's pad and snuck past the goal line at 13:11.

The Terriers held a slim 9-7 advantage in shots in the third period and overtime, but could not regain the lead. Millan was forced to make two great saves in the final minute of overtime to preserve the tie.

The two teams will close out their weekend home-and-home series on Saturday (Feb. 21) at Matthews Arena. Game time is set for 8 p.m.