Ben Bishop made 46 saves for the Black Bears

DENVER, Colo.-- The University of Maine men’s ice hockey team dropped a 2-0 decision to Denver at Magness Arena in Denver, Colo. on Friday night in the season-open in front of 6,040 fans. Maine Ben Bishop (Des Peres, Mo.) was impressive, making a career-high 46 save in the game.

Denver had an early 5-on-3 advantage in the first few minutes of the game, but the Black Bears were able to kill off the penalties and keep the game scoreless. Maine had a great chance to get on the board on the power play with 3:33 remaining in the first period on the power play, but Denver goalie Peter Mannino was able to come up big on several shots on a power play unit made up of four freshmen and one senior. Maine had a second great chance seconds later when senior Rob Bellamy (Westfield, Mass.) had a shot and Keenan Hopson (Prince George, British Columbia) followed up on the rebound, but again, Mannino made the save.

Maine’s Ben Bishop made a huge save with just 27 second remaining in the first period to keep the game scoreless going into the first intermission. Denver had a 16-7 edge in shots on goal after one period of play.

Denver got on the board first when Tyler Ruesegger scored a power play goal at 4:46 of the second period from Chris Butler.

Bellamy had a great chance to tie the game at 1-1 with just over a minute left in the second period, but DU goalie Mannino made a point-blank save as the Pioneers kept the 1-0 lead.

Denver added to its lead with just 18 seconds remaining in the second period when Kyle Ostrow scored a power play goal from Ruegsegger and Butler with a shot from the left of Maine goalie Ben Bishop.

Maine nearly got on the board with just over 3:30 remaining in the game when Vince Laise (Brampton, Ontario) had a shot go just wide.

Bishop finished the game with a career-high 46 saves.

Maine was 0-2 on the power play, while Denver was 2-8.

The two teams conclude their two-game series on Saturday, Oct. 13 at 9 p.m. ET.