Bryan Ewing scores twice for Terriers

Senior Bryan Ewing scored twice for the Terriers

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Boston University men's ice hockey team finished up play at the 2007 Nye Frontier Classic by recording a 4-4 tie with tournament host Alaska Anchorage on Saturday evening at Sullivan Arena.

Senior Bryan Ewing scored a pair of goals, including one to break a 3-3 tie in the third, but the Seawolves registered the game-tying tally with just two minutes left in regulation.

Freshmen Colin Wilson and Nick Bonino each recorded two assists and junior Matt Gilroy and senior Ryan Monaghan added goals for the Terriers, who now stand at 0-1-1 on the year. Gilroy and Wilson earned spots on the All-Tournament Team.

Senior Pete MacArthur, junior Jason Lawrence, sophomore Luke Popko and freshman Colby Cohen recorded one assist apiece.

The Seawolves (1-0-1) were paced by sophomore Josh Lunden, who tallied two goals - including the game-tying score - and was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player.

BU held three different one-goal leads in the contest, but UAA was able to produce an equalizer on each occasion.

Two game misconducts from the Seawolves allowed the Terriers to have a man advantage for nearly half of the third. However, BU was only able to muster one goal during that span.

Making just the second start of his career, sophomore goaltender Brett Bennett recorded 19 saves for the Terriers. The Seawolves got a 26-save performance from sophomore Jon Olthuis

BU, which held a 30-23 advantage in shots, went 1-for-7 on the power play, while UAA converted two of its six man-up chances.

The Terriers wasted little time in getting an early advantage on the scoreboard, as Ewing scored just 17 seconds after the opening faceoff on a perfect pass from MacArthur.

Playing on his first collegiate shift, Bonino set up the tally, collecting a loose puck in the BU zone before sending the puck up the left side to a streaking MacArthur to set up a 2-on-1. MacArthur spotted Ewing, who redirected the puck past Olthuis by the far pipe.

The Terriers continued to own the opening minutes of play, but the Seawolves weren’t phased by the early tally. Freshman Winston DayChief's first career goal knotted the game at the 5:44 mark and Lunden followed with his first goal of the night in the closing minutes of the period to give the home team a 2-1 edge entering the first intermission.

BU came out of the first break firing and regained the lead thanks to a pair of perfect set-ups by Wilson. From the right side, the freshman found Gilroy outside the left portion for an easy redirect at 1:25 and then followed that up from the other side just over four minutes later, feeding Monaghan, who tallied his first goal since his freshman season.

The Seawolves, who scored a goal in the final three minutes of each period, ensured a 3-3 score heading into the third when senior Chris Tarkir wristed a shot past Bennett with 2:39 left in the second.

After coming up empty on their first 13 power plays of the season-opening tournament, the Terriers came through on their next one to break a 3-3 tie with 7:38 remaining in regulation.

A pass from the right point by Cohen went off the stick of Bonino in front of the net, but the puck made its way to a wide-open Ewing, who was positioned by the left pipe and took advantage of a virtually wide-open net.

The Seawolves sent the game into overtime when Lunden knocked in a rebound on a power play with exactly two minutes left in regulation.

Despite having solid chances on both ends of the ice, neither team was able to record a winner in overtime.

The Terriers will return to action on Friday, Oct. 19, for their home opener against New Hampshire. Game time is set for 7 p.m.