DURHAM, N.H. – Greg Beller scored at 3:03 of overtime to lift the Yale University men’s hockey team to Saturday night’s 4-3 non-conference victory against eighth-ranked University of New Hampshire at the Whittemore Center.

UNH is now 2-2-0 on the season while Yale is 2-0-0. Trailing 3-2 at the start of the third period, Yale went on a five-minute power play at 2:19. Chris Cahill’s shot from deep in the right circle hit the far post midway through the power play, but the Wildcats limited the Bulldogs to just two shots on goal in the five-minute span to preserve their one-goal advantage.

With UNH on the power play midway through the third, Mike Radja (Yorkville, Ill.) hit the crossbar on a shot from the right circle. It marked the Wildcats’ second shot of the night to hit the crossbar, as a Jacob Micflikier (Winnipeg, Manitoba) shot from the right doorstep caromed off that part of the underside of the goal frame four minutes into the second period.

Yale called time out at 13:03, immediately preceding its sixth power play of the game. The Wildcats’ penalty kill unit was successful, but seconds later Ryan Donald’s long outlet pass sent Sean Backman alone on UNH goaltender Kevin Regan (South Boston, Mass.). Backman charged down the slot but was stoned in front by Regan.

Less than two minutes later, Yale tied the score at 16:45. Standing in front of the Yale bench, Backman sent a pass across to Tom Dignard, who in turn moved the puck up to Cahill. Cahill’s shot from between the circles was stopped by Regan, but the momentum from a backchecking UNH defenseman carried his momentum into Regan and the puck slid across the goal line.

In the overtime session, Beller broke in alone down the slot and lifted a backhanded shot into the upper-right corner to end the game at 3:03. Cahill was credited with an assist.

Regan finished with 27 saves, including three in OT. Richards also made three saves in overtime and 28 overall.

In a penalty-marred first period that included 10 penalties for 31 minutes, Yale took advantage of a 4-on-3 power play situation to score the only goal of the stanza at 1:53. Michael Karwoski initiated the sequence from the right point with a pass across the blue line to Bill LeClerc, whose shot from the left point deflected off a UNH defenseman in the low slot into the open right side of the net.

The teams combined to produce four goals in the second period, at the end of which UNH led 3-2. Trevor Smith (North Vancouver, British Columbia) evened the score, 1-1, at 1:26 of the middle stanza when, standing in front of the net, he redirected a centering pass from Matt Fornataro (Calgary, Alberta). Jerry Pollastrone (Rever, Mass.), with the pass from the left circle across the ice to Fornataro in the right circle, was also credited with an assist.

Yale reclaimed the lead, 2-1, at 5:26. With a faceoff in Yale’s offensive zone to the right of Regan, Blair Yaworski won the puck back to Dignard and his screened shot trickled across the goal line.

UNH forged a tie for the second time just 16 seconds later, however, when Mike Radja (Yorkville, Ill.) redirected Craig Switzer’s (Peachland, British Columbia) shot from the high slot into the upper-right corner of the net. Brett Hemingway (Surrey, B.C.) was also credited with an assist.

The Wildcats took their first lead of the game, 3-2, on a Micflikier’s power-play goal at 12:26. Brad Flashains (Glendale, Ariz.), started the sequence from the right point and Switzer’s initial shot from the left point was stopped by Richards. Micflikier, stationed near the right post, collected the puck off the rebound to score.

New Hampshire returns to action Nov. 3 at home vs. Northeastern University. The game, which will be televised by NHPTV, begins at 7 p.m.