Michel LÚveillÚ scores two goals; Ben Bishop Makes 33 saves

GRAND FORKS, N.D. - The University of Maine men's ice hockey team got the weekend sweep over North Dakota with a 3-1 win at Ralph Engelstad Arena on Saturday night. Maine got a first period goal by Teddy Purcell, then Michel LÚveillÚ scored two goals in the second period. Ben Bishop had a strong night in net, coming up with 33 saves and one goal against in the win. Maine, ranked fourth in the nation, improves to 5-0-0 on the season while North Dakota, ranked third, falls to 3-3-0 overall.

In the first period, the Black Bears were able to strike first when Simon Danis-Pepin (Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec) chipped the puck up to Teddy Purcell (St. John's, Newfoundland) who fired a shot from the top of the right circle for a goal at 3:20. The Fighting Souix had the first power play chance of the night, and Ben Bishop (Des Peres, Mo.) was able to make a save on T.J. Oshie. Maine had one shot by Michel LÚveillÚ (Levis, Quebec) on the Black Bears first power play. With North Dakota's second power play chance, Andrew Kozek had a shot saved by Bishop. Teddy Purcell added two more shots with under two minutes to go in the period, but were unable to add to the lead. Maine and North Dakota each had eight shots in the period.

The Black Bears were on defense for most of the first eight minutes of the second period as North Dakota had three power play chances which included 52 second and 30 second five-on-three opportunities. Maine was able to kill the advantages, but North Dakota put a lot of shot on net, including a shot by Matt Watkins that hit the post. Back at full-strength, the Black Bears scored a goal when Michel LÚveillÚ took a shot from the left circle for a 2-0 lead. Josh Soares (Hamilton, Ontario) and Teddy Purcell had assists on the goal at 8:39. Maine added to the lead when Michel LÚveillÚ stole the puck from the near boards and went in alone with a backhanded shot for the goal at 11:27. The Black Bears had their second power play chance late in the period and had numerous chances, but were unable to add to the lead. In the period, North Dakota had an 18-12 lead on shots.

In the third period, Maine was able to kill an early power play by the Fighting Sioux. Maine then had two power play chances, with good shots on net by both Teddy Purcell and Brent Shepheard (Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia), plus Mike Lundin (Apple Valley, Minn.) had a shot hit the right post. With time winding down in the game, North Dakota went on the power play with 3:42 remaining. With the goalie pulled for an extra skater, Brian Lee scored with assists from Chris Porter and Taylor Chorney at 17:53 for the power play goal. Following the goal, North Dakota kept the net empty, but a penalty by the Fighting Sioux with 26 seconds remaining wrapped-up the game for the Black Bears.

Maine swept North Dakota for the first time in the 18 meeting between the two teams. Ben Bishop had a shut-out streak of 93:52 on the weekend, the longest streak of his career.

In goal, Maine's Ben Bishop allowed one goal and had 33 saves. For North Dakota, Philippe Lamoureux had three goals against and 25 saves. Maine had 8 penalties for 16 minutes and North Dakota had 7 penalties for 14 minutes. On power plays, Maine was 0-6 and North Dakota was 1-7. For the game, Maine was outshot by the Fighting Sioux 34 to 28.

Maine returns home on October 28 for the Hockey East opener against Massachusetts. The game will air on WABI-TV 5 in Bangor and can also be seen on For tickets or more information on University of Maine athletics, visit or call 581-BEAR.