Senior Kevin Schaeffer scores game-tying goal

BOSTON - Boston University became the first team this season to put any type of blemish on top-ranked Maine's record on Saturday night, as the No. 7/8-ranked Terriers rallied from an early two-goal deficit to pull out a 2-2 tie at Agganis Arena. BU moves to 2-1-3 on the year with a 2-1-2 Hockey East mark, while Maine now stands at 7-0-1 overall and 2-0-1 in conference play.

Junior Keenan Hopson and senior Josh Soares each scored for the Black Bears in the first seven minutes of play before BU senior John Curry helped to keep the visitors scoreless for the final 58 minutes of the contest.

Hopson opened the scoring just 1:36 after the opening faceoff, taking advantage of failed defensive clear by the Terriers with a blast from the left circle. Senior Mike Lundin set up the goal after junior Billy Ryan kept the puck in the BU zone.

The Black Bears made it a 2-0 affair on their second power-play opportunity of the night when senior Soares sent home a pass from junior Wes Clark at the 6:25 mark. Freshman Teddy Purcell also assisted on the tally.

The Terriers knotted the contest with a pair of power-play tallies in the second period. The goals came less than eight minutes apart and were the rewards for what was BU's most complete period of the young season, as the Terriers outshot the visitors 14-3 in the middle stanza.

Sophomore Matt Gilroy scored his second goal in as many night when he sent in a rebound off his own shot at the 6:36 mark. Junior Pete MacArthur and sophomore Jason Lawrence were credited with assists on the play.

The game-tying goal came from the stick of senior Kevin Schaeffer, as the defensemen sent a puck through traffic at the 14:21 mark. Schaeffer collected the puck along the left side before sending it to sophomore Chris Higgins. After moving back to the middle of the zone, Schaeffer took a pass from Higgins before sending the puck to the back of the net.

Each team threatened in the third period, including a BU breakaway late in regulation, but neither team could muster its third goal of the night.

After the Terriers recorded the first shot on goal in overtime on a redirect attempt in front of the crease by freshman Luke Popko, the visitors put on plenty of pressure in the closing minute of the extra sesson. Curry was forced to make three saves, including a point-blank stop on a shot by Ryan, to preserve the tie.

After being outshot 11-5 in the opening period, the Terriers put up 26 shots to the Black Bears' 13 the rest of the way.

Curry made 22 saves on the night while his counterpart, sophomore Ben Bishop, stopped 29 of the Terriers' shots.