Senior John Curry registers 30 saves for BU

ORONO, Maine – The University of Maine men’s ice hockey team was shutout 3-0 by Boston University on Saturday night at Alfond Arena. John Curry had 30 saves for Boston University as Maine had the advantage on shots for the second night in a row. The Black Bears are now 14-5-2 overall and 7-5-1 in Hockey East while Boston University is 10-4-6 overall and 7-3-5 in conference play.

In the first period, Maine had a power play just thirteen seconds into the game, but did not generate a shot on net. Boston University took the lead when Matt Gilroy took a shot that was saved by Ben Bishop (Des Peres, Mo.), but Gilroy put back the rebound for the goal. He was assisted by Ryan Weston at 5:35 in the first period. At 12:48 in the period, a skirmish in front of the Boston University net sent two players from each team to the penalty box and gave the Terriers a power play. While on the advantage, Keenan Hopson (Prince George, British Columbia) had a shorthanded chance saved by John Curry. At the 16:29 mark, Keith Johnson (Windsor, Conn.) was called for shooting after the whistle, which also was a ten minute misconduct penalty. After the first period Maine had an eight to six lead on shots.

After killing a Boston University power play opportunity early in the second period, Maine had their third power play chance of the night. While on the advantage, Michel Léveillé (Levis, Quebec) had two shots saved by John Curry. The Terriers took a 2-0 lead when Dan McGoff scored at 12:04 with assists from Brian McGuirk and John McCarthy. Maine had another man-advantage late in the period, and Teddy Purcell (St. John’s, Newfoundland) and Keith Johnson both had strong shots saved. Shots in the second period were tied at nine each.

The penalties continued for Maine in the third period, as Josh Soares (Hamilton, Ontario) was called for shooting after the whistle at 2:20 in the period, which was also a ten-minute misconduct. On the Terriers’ sixth power play chance of the night, Chris Higgins scored with assists from Pete MacArthur and Luke Popko at 12:26. Then, at 13:08 in the period, a brawl erupted behind the Boston University net. Maine’s Brent Shepheard (Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia) was given a game disqualification for fighting and three other players were sent to the box for roughing. Five more penalties were called in the last five minutes of the game, resulting several power play chances for both teams. Following the conclusion of the game, Maine coach Tim Whitehead was given a ten-minute misconduct as well.

In goal, Maine’s Ben Bishop had three goals against and 24 saves. For Boston University, John Curry had the shutout and 30 saves. Maine had 16 penalties for 67 minutes and Boston University had 12 penalties for 24 minutes. On power plays, Maine was 0-7 and Boston University was 1-8. For the game, Maine outshot the Terriers 30 to 27.

Maine was shutout at home for the first time since January 20, 2006 (Providence). It also marked the first time since February 14-15, 1986 that the Terriers won a two-game series at Alfond Arena. Teddy Purcell had a ten-game scoring streak ended in the loss.

The Black Bears travel to Providence next weekend for a two-game series before returning home on January 26 and 27 to face Northeastern. For tickets or more information on University of Maine athletics, visit or call 581-BEAR.